Z Index Trait Missing (open ‮ (

Orange variable is missing. It’s existed in the non-beta editor before as a bug, plus I checked the webplayer, so it certainly does exist. But it seems to have been left exclusive to the beta editor, like start sound ms was originally.

11 Likes

Huh, that’s odd. Is this just with recent updates?

7 Likes

Today’s update should have added it to the normal editor, but it hasn’t done that yet.

7 Likes

Hmmmm
Ok then

7 Likes

What does Z index even do, anyway?

3 Likes

X is width, left to right. Y is height, up and down. Together X and Y make a 2D square. Z is depth, forward and backward. If you add that to the 2D square, you’re making that square a cube. So basically, in Hopscotch, the editor now has layers. Not just Bring to Front and Send to Back. Now you can set an object in between the front and the back.

2 Likes

It’s the order in which objects are displayed. I think it has to be 0 or a positive integer, though I haven’t tested with negative numbers yet. A low z index means that the object will be below an object with a higher z index. Objects with the same z index will be in order of when they are created. (So objects that are higher in the editor will be behind other objects.)
So if you have three objects, and you want object one to go on top of object 2 but below object 3, you’d set object 1’s z index to any number that is greater than the z index of object 2 but lower than that of object 3.

5 Likes

Nice explanation. The Z index always confused me. Bookmarked for sure :))

4 Likes