Yukon, my first post-era game, is out now on Bear Stomp, my new high-effort account! Click on this link to play it, then come back to this topic! :D
For a limited time, you can claim a custom snowboard for free when you buy the full game from launch, as well as getting any future updates to the game!
Feel free to join the tag list, @BearStomp, for project updates related to the account.
I made the account because I felt like my projects on Rawrbear were done at a much lower effort than what I want to put out on Bear Stomp. I’ve been really inspired by the projects of MagmaPOP (a very old OG Hopscotcher, basically the biggest at the time), and I’ve really wanted to follow in his tracks, both as a tribute to his work, and as a form of appreciation towards this community, as well as just to be an inspiration to other people.
Bear Stomp is very experimental. I still want to do more with this other account and build a brand from it! We’ll see how that goes. :)
Yukon took me hours to make. Before this, the most time I’ve spent on a project was six hours on a project called Lightrail, which was also my first featured project. This one, in contrast, felt like it took much more than 15 hours, and I don’t even think that’s accurate.
Lightrail and this project are actually pretty similar in nature. I wanted to take the concept of a runner and really push the limit on what I could do with sprites in this game.
For those who don’t know, this was part of the 2021 Spring Seed Developer Project. I had access to extra help from @Yuanyuan, as well as the option to get help from many other skilled developers - though I never asked for feedback from anyone except for a couple friends. This project really wouldn’t’ve been or felt the same without them, and I’m thankful for this opportunity I’ve been given.
With this in mind, you may ask, “how did you make the sprites?” Well, all of the work ended up being sprited in a program called Affinity Designer, which is Illustrator software! (Designer is a cheaper alternative to Adobe Illustrator.)
There was a lot of complicated math to deal with the trajectory of the projectiles, too! I used a combination of sine/cos, mapping functions and linear equations to path the trajectory of each obstacle in the game. Sine and cosine was used to turn the player and the board, and a mapping function was used to determine the exact location of the board.
This project actually isn’t finished! There are still features to add and bugs left behind. Let me know if you find any, and I can try to patch them!
There’s still more work I want to do with Yukon, so look out for a couple updates in the future! I’ll tag @BearStomp if it happens!
Feel free to talk about anything and everything Yukon related, including bug reports, compliments and any critique, as well as any questions you have about the project!
Please keep posts on this topic insightful and meaningful. Thank you!