Why are a couple words so powerful?

help
communityguidelines

I've noticed this on Hopscotch a lot now.

If I don't get # amount of likes, I'm quitting.

No one notices me, so I'm leavin.g Hopscotch

Follow me for free likes

I work so hard on a project and it only gets 4 likes! I'm soooo annoyed!!

Im really bad at this, so I'm deleting the app

I have seen a lot of negative things about popularity on Hopscotch. And, every time, I ask myself Why?. Why are a couple of words, so powerful in the sense of someone being recognized.

Coding is hard to understand. But in this technology age, people are more concerned about likes ON their project, then LIKING their project. But, just because you work hard on something that only gets 3 likes, doesn't mean it isn't an amazing project. As @oio said perfectly "You can't buy anything with likes. They don't do anything for you, really." In my opinion, people shouldn't get concerned about likes.

Back to the bolded statements. All but the last one involve likes in some sort of way. These are the major ways I've seen budding coders leave. Hopscotch is a place where you learn to code in a safe, kind environment. You don't get coding in an instant, it takes time to learn the ways. I've seen that a couple of words put in the right order, make a powerful impact on the viewer, and they will want the person to stay.

Don't beg for likes, and if you stay, you will be an amazing coder, one way or another.

Why are a couple words so powerful

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I agree!! If by "follow me for likes" you mean that one account that you follow for free likes and shootouts, I think he only does why he does to encourage people. I have seen people getting super annoyed about these things, but the truth is, they don't seem to take much time on their projects. Sometimes I feel responsible for what happens. I feel as if I need to help these people learn to code, and other times I feel as if us hopscotchers don't give others as much attention. Most good projects get on trending, but I have seen many many good projects get very few likes. I am satisfied with the amount of attention I get, but some people need to branch out to other coders for their attention... If they deserved it!

Anybody who quits playing piano, painting pictures, riding bicycles or practicing karate because nobody publicly tells them how much they they "like" how they're doing it... is entirely and sadly missing the point of any of these activities.

Think of any great historical figure and ask whether this outlook woukd have been theirs. I can just see Christopher Columbis or [substitute the name of one of your favorites] whining, "I'm not getting enough likes." and quitting. Yeah, right. And making sure people all over the entire world could pick up a magic glass tablet and read their quitter's cry?! Yeah.., right!

Ha!

Awesome does not need to be told it's awesome. Neither do you.

:sunglasses:

I don't care much about likes anymore. I used to when I started, but then realized that it was pointless. If people continue to beg for likes, I'm afraid that the Hopscotch Team might take away likes. No one wants that to happen, right? Likes are just a form of encourage meant to keep you Hopscotching.

Quitters are lose.rs. Like @oio said,

They are missing the whole point of Hopscotching, which is to learn how to code. You are missing the point if you just want likes. Like I said before, likes are just rewards.

Don't let public encouragement rule your world.

And today's social media and encouragement to fit in and be popular is rushing into Hopscotch.

I really loved it when I first joined. There weren't as many members and it was a happier commintiy:slightly_smiling:. popularity is taking over people, and they expect hopscotch will be easy and they will be popular and get insane likes.

Popularity is not what Hopscotch is about. It is about coding

I wonder how many of the kids at my school would just put on of the premise blocks in and say I am done. Then when I gets no likes would Complain. That is the thing about society and social media, people are use to getting likes when real no one even care at all about your 1000 selfie.

I think the quitting thing is sad. Or asking for likes to make part 2. That doesn't make sense to me. I have to agree with @oio about that. Although I understand how people feel. When you try your best at something, you want it to succeed. By that way, people want more likes. Then they can get on the trending channel, and get featured. They want to show that they can succeed. They want others to know about the project they spent nights working on. And when it doesn't succeed, it sometimes makes people depressed. In order for that not to happen, they need people to know, which leads to channels and back to likes. It is one big cycle. I understand it is confusing, but it is what happens. This leads back to what I was saying in the Featured Projects topic. I do, though, agree that no one should quit or ask for likes and follows. That isn't being awesome. And I follow the being awesome rules to this day. If you find a cool project that needs more than it deserves, then give a shout out. It might make that persons day. But never ever quit.

People ask for likes to make part 2 because it would be useless to continue a series and put effort into something if no one likes it, even if they don't actually like-like it, but begging for likes, I disagree with.

But I don't get why people ask for a certain number of likes on them, because I'm fine with just one. In fact, I haven't continued a series that got around 8 likes in others' people's screens because they can't see the second part, but I can, and it has no swears or anything inappropriate, in my opinion.

Here it is, but I don't think anyone would like it if every character talked in a moderately-sized paragraph: https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/xniq5r90h, which is a republish of the original part 2 that I deleted because no one could see it. But I'm not continuing it because I realized, you have to plan most of everything out to write something good.

I'm not saying you should ask for likes on everything, though. Maybe only movies, maybe.

I understand what you are saying and I think that the number is a weird thing too. If people find amazing games that deserves lot, they can give a shout out, too. I guess the asking is ok as long as if there isn't a number. It's to bad there is no way to comment on a project without going to the hopscotch forum. Then they could decide about second parts from there, too.

A real enhancement to Hopscotch and to its community would be something found in many other online contexts. Consider what it's like to shop at Amazon or any store that has an online presence. Every useful site that I know of for showcasing things provides a place for targeted ratings and reviews for each entry. I used to contribute music to one such site. I loved how the review system provided a nice place for feedback and collaboration. Perhaps one day Hopscotch will evolve to have something similar, right inside the app. Wouldn't that be cool? I think so.

What's more, it potentially short-circuits the "I quit" melodrama or at least gives it a less conspicuous place to play itself out.

I love that idea, @oio. This may help with likes and leaving because hopscotch is "too hard"

It's weird that people say it is too hard. It's not like it is a game where you have a goal you must get to. It is a place for creativity because with coding systems like hopscotch, the sky is the limit. You can always learn more to make better things. Just because your not satisfied with what you have now, doesn't mean you should stop doing it. It means you can experiment and learn to make amazing programs others will love.

another thing that people say is "My mom(or dad) said i could get a cat if i get 1000 likes on this project by nov. 6," WORK FOR THOSE LIKES, LIKE MAKE A PROJECT sorry just think its just like saying "if i write down hello three times i made a novel that should be published.

This goes back to something I once said. If you truly try hard, take time, make it fun and awesome, you will get likes. Some people just whip up projects in 5 minutes and then publish it when it either barley works or doesn't work at all. If you want likes or success, then try hard. Spend weeks. Make it a,aging, and then publish it.

I hope everyone see that post and understands what I mean. To show that only finished projects are really worth publishing.

Yeah I agree I wouldn't quit. Even I almost quit about 6 months ago. Because people wouldn't like my projects. Then I had one more try and got more than 2000 plays and 100 likes. See how much a little hope can do for you. So my advice is don't quit you'll get better the more you code.

Well said. If anyone needs any ideas, just ask, too. It never hurts to see what the public wants. This way anyone can make others happy.

I haven't said that I want likes or I'm quitting Hopscotch yet, but I really want people to play and like my project so I could get feedback. Hopscotch isn't just about making a game and then done. It's flawless. It's also about the community telling you how you should improve the game, and the only way the community will notice it if it is featured or rising. For instance, I made a game called "GhostBusters" but because nobody plays it, I won't get any feedback (I am proud of it, one of my best games).

But there's a shift of power in Hopscotch. I've seen hundreds of hidden gems, while some of the features games are boring. Getting featured means that your project is good. But some of the games aren't interactive. They're boring.