Who wants hopscotch to make apps from Hopscotch projects

I think it’s swift…

2 Likes

There is an app swift?

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s called Swift Playgrounds

2 Likes

I had that app. I didn’t know you can make apps with it. I thought it just teaches you about Swift programming.

2 Likes

You can’t, though you can make apps with Swift.

4 Likes

This is an epic idea!

I have used drag-and-drop coding software similar to Hopscotch that allows you to publish to the App Store, but here were the drawbacks:

. You must own your own website
. You must be 18+ to have a developer license
. It is $99 per year for an Apple developer subscription
. The software put in a long animated splash screen which was annoying
. The app file size was huge for something basic (like 300MB, A normal app that can be downloaded over Cellular is under 150MB)
. Developing an app for iPad would break on iPhones and newer devices with different screen dimensions
. Cannot publish to Google Play store
. etc

This idea is fabulous, but it might be hard to get through the legal issues, money, etc

4 Likes

Yes Swift is verry friendly
Especially Sprite Kit

2 Likes

Your pfp :laughing:

2 Likes

Dat would be the BESTTTTTT AMAZNG IDEAAAA

I doubt they would add that feature, since it is too big a change, and it’s also not legal.

That didn’t answer my question but ok

1 Like

This is a great idea but this unfortunately won’t happen because apple charges $99/year for maintaining an app on the app store and all those projects will stack up

See Jonny’s post

3 Likes

I don’t know maybe other kids or hopscotchers

2 Likes

Fun idea, but that is not the purpose of Hopscotch. The purpose of Hopscotch is to get you ready for the real world of coding. Its goal is to teach you the fundamentals of how to be a real developer.

If you want to create your own app for the App Store, you will need to learn how to type out the code fundamentals given to you in Hopscotch. If you would like help on how to do that, there are a bunch of people (including myself) in the Coding Café who would love to help you get started.

Wrong, it’s $99 USD a year for an average person to be granted developer privileges. More information on that is here.

Basically what they means is you will run into these two security issues

1. Legal trouble
  2. Personal information leak overload

These problems seem light(ish) on the surface, but trust me, get into one of these problems and it will get very very very bad. No examples are needed…

Also, you are not limited to only these problems…

False. People create games for the Apple App-Store through Unity, Unreal Engine, etc…

3 Likes
  1. I’m a they
  2. thank you, I’ve tried explaining that a billion times
2 Likes

I added something very important to that:

sorry about that… At first when I read that, I chuckled because I thought you meant that you were the legal trouble.

2 Likes

Yup I saw and that’s also correct :slight_smile:

Thanks for fixing the pronouns also.
:joy:

1 Like

What I meant was using a pre-existing coding app (like Hopscotch) then trying to make one of the projects you make on it into an app that is published to the App Store, which overloads and crashes the server, and it would take a long time to fix. That’s why I am telling you it shouldn’t be legal.

Again, I doubt it will always crash the server or overload it, unless the pre-existing app’s code for uploading is buggy.
And how do you know it’d take a long time to fix?

3 Likes