Math :confounded:
Science :slight_smile:
Mythology :neutral_face:
Reading :weary:
Composition :dizzy_face:
Grammar :triumph:
Art :no_mouth:

I really enjoy math at my school.

I like math in school, but our math is too easy.

Pre algebra is. That's what I'm doing. I don't know about algebra, I'll learn that next year. (Probably.) The thing I use to learn math is pretty easy, for example, I'm doing eighth grade work (pre algebra) in seventh grade. But what I'm doing is seventh grade level.

You're going to get flagged for being off-topic.
Also, please don't say that about yourself!

Oh, sorry. It was gonna be math related... sorta. I got a bad grade on my test today on fractions

Ah, I see.
What were you doing? Maybe I could help.
Fractions are easy for me ;)

Oh yesssssss thank u!

Okay! So, what are you having trouble with?

I don't like math though. It's my least favorite. I like reading.

Ordering fractions and decimals

Ok. Let me try and type something up.

Okey donkey!

7th grade is pre algebra for you?

Math is awesome! I wish I was in Algebra II, though. It'd be so useful for programming stuff. :p

Math is the backbone of programming. If you want to learn a programming language, you'll definitely come across tons of math.

Yeah, the lowest level of math in seventh grade is Pre-Algebra, followed by Algebra in eighth grade, which is the end of middle school in my district.

Decimals. @Elemental_Cat

Here are some random numbers I will use for examples:
0.21, 0.71, 1.75, 9.721, 0.20.

I am now going to order them, but before I can order them I need to know: am I ordering least to greatest, or greatest to least?
Typically you see least to greatest so that is how I'll order these decimals for you.

When ordering the, from least to greatest you first want to look in the "units" place. If the number is zero then you'll know that it is below zero. So, now let's say we have these two numbers: 0.21 and 1.75. Which one is greater? The answer is 1.75. This is because when we look in the units place we will immediately know that one is greater than zero. That is easy to verify. hopefully

Ordered from least to greatest it would look like this: 0.21, 1.75. Make sense?

Now, we have more than just two numbers. We have five. It sounds like a lot, but we have a concept we are using to make it easier.

Here are our number that we are using: 0.21, 0.71, 1.75, 9.721, 0.20.

So, let's start in the units place.

In the number "0.21" the number in the units place is zero.
In the number "0.71" the number in the units place is zero as well. What do we do? We go over to the "tenths" place. The tenths place is the number to the right of the decimal. So, in 0.21 in the tenths place we have a two, and in 0.71 we have a seven. Seven is greater than two so we would order the numbers like this: 0.21, 0.71.

Now, using this knowledge we can compare all of the numbers, but wait! We have a 0.21 and a 0.20. To find out which one is greater we need to go into the "hundredths" place. The hundredths place is two to the right of the decimal point. So, in the hundredths place for 0.21 we have a one and in the hundredths place for 0.20 we have a zero. One is greater than zero, so we would order our numbers like this now: 0.20 or 0.2, 0.21, 0.71.

We can use this same concept throughtout all decimals when we order them. Remember to pay attention to the way you are supposed to order the decimals. I hope that made sense XD

Here is what all of my decimals look like ordered from least to greatest: 0.20, 0.21, 0.71, 1.75, 9.721

Ahh. My school and most where I live are is pre algebra in 6th grade, and algebra in 7th and 8th.

Everyone gets to the same place eventually. No big deal.

Fractions @Elemental_Cat

Fractions are parts of numbers. They are a lot like decimals, but written in a different form.

Here are some fractions: 1/5, 4/8, 3/4, 13/24.

If you don't know equivalent fractions then this might be confusing.
I'll give you a link to an exercise for this after.

So, let's see if we can simplify these fractions.

The number 1/5 could equal 2/10, but it is already simplified as low as it can be.
The number 4/8 can be simplified though. 4/8 is equal to 1/2.
The number 3/4 cannot be simplified because it is simply in its lowest form.
Lastly, the number 13/24. This number cannot be simplified it might seem like it could be, but it can't be. Thirteen and twenty four don't have any common factors, therefore it cannot be simplified. If the number were 12/24 it could be simplified because 12 divided by 12 is one and 24 divided by 12 is two, and that would leave you with 1/2, but ignore that for now.

So, let's look at all of the numbers simplified.
1/5= 1/5
4/8= 1/2
3/4= 3/4
13/24= 13/24

If you know percents then this would be easier, but if you don't know how to convert fractions into percents/decimals it is a little trickier in my opinion.

1/5 equals 2/10 and 2/10 equals 0.20, or 20%.
1/2 equals 0.50, or 50%.
3/4 equals 0.75, or 75%.
13/24 is tricker, but since I feel lazy and don't want to find the exact percentage I'm going to say it's a little bit greater than 50%.

So, now we know our decimals for these fractions. This will make it easier to order. If you understand my post about ordering decimals you can order these numbers. Lets order them from least to greatest.

Here is what it should be: 1/5, 1/2, 13/24, 3/4.

It will make sense if you read the chart above and you understand how to order decimals.

You can easily know certain fractions equal certain decimals. For example 3/4= 0.75. That's just a fact you can know.

I'll give you some videos that explain how to convert decimals to fractions and fractions to decimals. I will also give you a link so you can practice ordering fractions and decimals.