What tutorials do you want?

howtos

• How to make a loading screen
  • How to make backgrounds
  • How to make anamojis

0voters

Please Answer! The first one to highest one soon I will make.

INTERESTING! Should I make a loading screen video? What else would you all want?

I think a loading screen video would be great @alish! Also maybe a high score video?

What kind of high score video?

@alish Probably how to make a high score counter for arcade games or something? I asked this on another post, but it would be great to have a video of it.

I voted for anamoji because I think an anamoji tutorial would be great for Hopscotchers — it's not too hard and it's useful for animations like :unlock::lock: in projects. There are lots of projects about anamojis on Hopscotch already though I guess :smiley:

@Mathgirl posted an awesome tutorial on high scores here if you'd like to know about high scores @teddyweddy23 :smiley:

Thanks @t1_hopscotch!

Cool, I'm excited to make some videos based on your choices!

What did you all think of fuzzy draw? What do you wish was different about the videos?

Fuzzy Draw was really...! Well, something between... cool and cute! I like that effect. Random and organic. That's always a win in my book.

@alish, responding to your question, I would really like to see a video on advanced techniques for working with clones. And if there are any new hooks into individual clones in the works for the next Hopscotch release, I would love to see a teaser / primer on that. :sweat_smile:

@oio clones are pretty tricky. We might be changing the way they work somewhat soon. If Octo has 50 clones and you're working with them, ideally you'd be able to decide unambiguously if "Octo's x position" means the original Octo, the current octo, or any octo's x position, etc. So that's an ambiguity we're still resolving. So for that reason I've been shy about going too in depth with them in the videos.

Are there any specific clone questions you have I can answer?

One useful point:
-clones don't respond to the original's "When Play Button is Tapped" rules. Their version of that is "When Character is Cloned..."

Understood. Your answer is as I expected. Thank you, @alish.

I totally loved the fuzzy draw and the spiral draw videos @alish! The videos are awesome and really helpful and it always makes me smile watching them :smile:

I don't really have any ideas for future tutorials but thanks for making them :smiley:

I would love a Card and loading screen video!

CLONES...

I know I have asked one or two questions about "clones" before, and each time it has been kind of tricky to discuss much, but I still have this question that seems both simple and important, but I don't get it.

So... if you wanted to, you could go make a program that clones a character, when you tap the screen. Right? One tap... One clone? Right? Then you could tell that ONE clone to go sit somewhere and be still. Right?

Here's my problem: I can't do that.

What happens when I try to code that is that on the first tap, I get one clone. On the second tap I get two. So that's a total of three clones. And so on. I get what's called a "geometric progression" of clones. But... Why? The command says "Create a clone of this character". My second tap should have generated only one clone. And every other tap should create one clone.

That is... unless I don't understand what "clone" means, or maybe "this" or maybe the word "a". Gee, I hope it's not the last one, or I'm in big trouble! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So... I'm guessing that I don't understand what a "clone" really is. It looks to me like I can create single clones in only one kind of situation (and I have done that lots of times), but in every other case, I end up creating a whole generation of them, where all I really want is to make one at a time. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me - ok, actually zero sense - and I am hoping that somebody can explain what's going on (not just repeat the question and say "because the thing you just said is how it is.") and maybe explain why it is the way it is.

Can anybody who understands it take a shot at this question? Or, if you're feeling like the school principal, tell me what previous post I should have read that explains this?

Thanks.

Problem experienced with clones

@oio So I decided to test this out a bit.

If you make a rule "When the play button is tapped, Repeat Forever: Create a Clone, Wait 1000 milliseconds and Set Invisibility to 100" (I used a value to see the number of clones), it is a steady arithmetic sequence, what you'd expect with iPad is tapped.

But the iPad is tapped just wants to be a little rebel. With a similar set of rules, I did the same thing, only with iPad is tapped as the When. Here's the weirdest part:

It's not even a geometric progression or sequence. The rate can round to about the same r variable, but there is a change. Here's the numbers that I got from my, er, fancy Hopscotch research

1,3,7,15,31,63,127,255,511,…

After 511 you cannot have anymore clones, so that is going to be my cutoff. As a mean, the rate is approximately 2.51.

This basically means when the iPad is tapped and you have a clone block, 2.5 clones are created at a rate, so even more each time.

Maybe there's some special science-y way to explain this, but this is what I figured out. Unless all my calculations are wrong and I have no idea what I'm taking about. Okay, rant over. Bye!

EDIT: Here's a few Wikipedia pages about cloning in coding if you can figure this out..

Cloning (programming)
Duplicate code

Fuzzy draw was awesome! I made a pink after the video was over! I love the videos and I like the videos now so I don't think I would wish something was different. Thanks for making the videos @alish

@CreativeCoder!

You rock.

Your results are a perfect match to mine - at least on the "badly behaved" side of things. Exactly the same numbers. You probably don't need me to point out that what we're looking at is 2 to the N minus one (not sure how to typeset that, though I saw a post on it), except for that hard limit at 511.

And your confirmation is anything but a rant, IMO. It's helpful. If yours is a rant, mine probably reads like a tirade - though that was not the intent at all. Quite the opposite. And I appreciate the interest that you have shown in this question from me and the actual effort you have invested in getting to the bottom of it. Props!

And this is exactly one of the questions motivating my original request for an advanced tutorial on clones, to which @alish kindly responded.

I am still not sure what to make of it, not sure how to respond to it, but is's a clue - which, obviously is a thing I need to get! :blush: I have been hoping to do that with the help of just the right tutorial (comment to bring this back to the O.P.).

-oio

You can use HTML "sup" and "sub" tags for superscript and subscript

Use this, without spaces in the tags:

< sub> random < /sub>

It would end up like this: random

Nice & kinda funny at the same time: a micro-tutorial in a thread about tutorials.
Lemme give that a try....
(2 N -1)
Yep. That does it, @CreativeCoder. Thx.

Loading screen video is up!!