What’s A Good Project?

NOTE: Like in my other project, I recommend that no one takes any of the posts here serious. Because this is a legitimate Topic about how good or bad projects can be.

——————————————————————————————————

Introduction

Hi! As you know, my name is Liked21. I have been using Hopscotch for about 8 months now, and I’m now attempting to participate in the forums more. Please feel free to reply to my Topics, because I allow them all to be off-Topic.

Rules

This Topic is supposed to be about how a project is good, or bad. These are the main Things people should be talking about is this Topic.

• What a Project Should And Shouldn’t Have
• How to Make a Good Project
• What is Considered a “Good Project”?
• How Can Others Inprove Their Own Project?
• Tips/Tricks For People Who Don’t Understand The Basic Way to Make a Decent Project on Hopscotch
• Anything Else of The Sort

I am allowing people to go off topic, but I don’t want that conversation to become the whole post. If it happens I will remove them.

Conclusion

Anyways, I don’t want anyone to take my Topics seriously (If someone says another’s project is bad, don’t find it offensive. I’m trying to have people help each other so they can tell each other the Pros and Cons of their project. That’s probably what they are meaning.)

I hope everyone can use this Topic to ask how to make their projects better, and what/how they can do it.

-Liked21

why do I write so much?

I personally think that a project is “good” when the person making it is satisfied :slight_smile:
The only “bad” projects are those that break the hopscotch rules!
But, to be more specific, I think that there are a couple of things that differentiate “magnificent” projects from “good” projects: First, I think that a magnificent project is creative and different. Second, I think that it is fun and uses creative code.
I think that games often fit these categories well, but trail art could, too.

I guess I will start… I have this game called “Dodger” (no baseball reference needed) and I have had my fourth version featured. To this day it has over 25K plays, and over 1.5K likes. I find many flaws with the game still. Like the fact that the game lags EXTREMELY when you reach a score a little over 75. (That’s a pretty good score.) I find it only lags when mother charactor (a simple circle) comes close to colliding with an obstacle. I feel that isn’t my fault, it is the coding itself. One of the reasons I think this happens is because the program is deciding where and when the charactor will collide with the obstacle. Another flaw is that the way the obstacles spawn. Every time an obstacle spawns, a big circle appears for a split second. It bugs me but I’m unable to fix this. Which is why it sits in the game to this day.

I feel that too. I’m not trying to be rude to anyone about how a project could be “bad”. Great example with the trail art. A trail art in Hopscotch can simply be “Good” or “Great” (Usually the “Great” trail arts are put in featured)

I’ve been edging to say this, is the way I make my Topics in a good format? I feel it’s very professional and this is literally the second Topic I’ve made on any type of forum.

I fully agree with @WynterDiamond. Well said! :clap:

Thank you! :grin:

I agree that the only “bad” projects are the one that break hopscotch rules. As long as you learn from your project, any project can be good. But you probably intended to mean good projects as the ones that would be likely to get featured for the effort put into the project.
_
What a Project Should And Shouldn’t Have
For featured projects, Hopscotchers tend to enjoy quick-loading projects more than slow-loading projects. On the other hand, if you have made something that has an extreme amount of detail (such as a 3D game or a pixel art) and have no other way to cut down on loading time, then it is fine to have people wait. Timing is important for projects, since you don’t want your users getting bored.
_
How to Make a Good Project
I think that planning out your project before you make it helps when you try to make a large program. I write on a piece of paper or two, but others might find other alternatives for that. Here is a list of steps I go through when planning:

• What do I want to make? (art, game, movie, music, etc., let’s say I choose “game”)
  • What have I not seen on Hopscotch before? (A Choose Your Own Adventure game)
  • What would the project look like? (Octo and Stargirl are lost on a hiking trail)
  • What order would things go in? (If it is a Choose Your Own Adventure game, there would need to be many paths, so the options and outcome would need to be planned)
  • How would I go about the code? (After looking at the order, looks, and characters, I plan out what I need my code to do. Then I translate that into actual Hopscotch code)

After you plan out your project, you can then code it and troubleshoot it.
_
What is Considered a “Good Project”?
Like what WynterDiamond said, I think that noticeable projects are creative and unique, and have a lot of effort put into the code.
_
How Can Others Inprove Their Own Project?
If you already have a great program, improving how your project looks generally makes the project seem even better. For example, if you have characters that you made yourself, adding more details to them (like how MegaEmojis work) can make the characters even cooler, as long as it doesn’t lag. Making a cool but quick-loading background also helps improve the overall look of the project. These can help improve an already awesome project.
_
Tips/Tricks For People Who Don’t Understand The Basic Way to Make a Decent Project on Hopscotch
Although making a lot of projects in one day can be cool and fun, you want to make sure you learn new things and put effort into your project. If you are on Hopscotch a lot, try to balance making a lot of projects with spending a day or more to make a larger project. Also, remixing can be fun and helps spread the word of awesome projects, but too many remixes in a channel can hide projects you worked hard on.
_
Anything Else of The Sort
If you are working hard on a large project and get frustrated, don’t worry. Take a break, step away from the iPad, and don’t worry about the problem for a few minutes. When you come back, identify what the problem is. If you can’t figure out the solution, the Hopscotch Forum is here to help. As I said earlier, balancing large projects with simple projects is important. If a large project takes you more than two days, then try working on something else for a day. Follow a tutorial on how to use Sine and Cosine, experiment with gradient background methods, etc. Coding should be fun and a learning process.

Yeah that was kinda what I was going for-
Great response though! Well thought out answers :thinking:

Thanks! I hope my ideas help you and anyone else who research what makes an awesome project. I’m trying to get back into coding so this topic will help me as well.

Really good response! I can see that you put a lot of effort into it :slight_smile:

I searched up your project and reviewed the code. I can help you fix the issues you mentioned as well as some others, if you’re interested?

Yes! I’d love to have some help with it. :slight_smile:

Great. It would help if I knew how old you are or what grade you’re in, if you don’t mind sharing? This way I can hopefully explain things better without over explaining.

Also, what device do you use for Hopscotch? (Hopscotch works better on newer models so less care needs to be taken to reduce lag)

We’ll start by adding a simple FPS meter to your project so we can see how much lag it currently has. You know what that is & how do to that?

If not, that’s fine.

Here's the object and code I added in a lower corner

For me, the fps after startup is around 50. That’s pretty good. But as the character gets close to a collision the fps drops into the 30s. Is it similar for you?

I think a project is “good” when you feel proud and accomplished once you publish it. It isn’t good if it gets featured or a bunch of likes. It is only good if you love what you posted and think it is an accurate display of what you have been recently learning!!

Also, this is a great, informative topic! Nice job!

Yes. I feel this is because the programming is deciding when or how close the charactor is to touching the obstacle.

I actually made a copy of the Project, then added a FPS counter to it. Sadly, it wasn’t to be seen by much because it wasn’t the featured version.

I wish you can update your game as is and you don’t have to make a whole new project just to add a new update.

scratch has that
sorry dont mean to advertise. just want to make sure nobody gets in trouble with LLK for any weird reason

Yes, you’re right. Hopscotch has trouble making the Bump decision quickly when there’s multiple objects. So I’ll show you a different way to get the same result without the Bump rule.

To do this, we first need to know what the diameter of the circle object is at the size % that you’re using it. The outer part of the character, the obstacle, and the point ball are all at 100%, so that makes it easier. You didn’t say what grade you’re in so I’m going to assume you understand some geometry. If not, just tell me.

To find the diameter (distance across the circle), we need to make a new test project. Put 2 circles on the stage like this

Make sure they’re at the same Y (up and down) location. Now add a Swipe Left rule to Circle 2 to move it 1 pixel left with each swipe.

Then add a Text to display the distance between the circles. When the circles are just touching the diameter of the circles is the same as the distance between them,

Now play the project and swipe left until the circles are just touching. What number does the Text tell you?

Working on BB-8 Adventures!

Unfortunately, I don’t understand geometry. But I will try that out.