What Is Slowmode?

Continuing the discussion from You Can Talk About Your Hopscotch Coding Here 27 [OFFICIAL]:

On this topic

:computer: The Dev Side Of Things

:postal_horn: The Loophole

:heavy_check_mark: Conclusion

:computer: The Dev Side Of Things

Slow mode allows a Leader to set a certain amount of time that everyone must wait between their posts. This can be something like 5 minutes, which means your last post on the topic must be 5 minutes old before you can post again.

As fearless said:

Just remember if it is bad it will be removed. If its good it will stay until something better comes.

:postal_horn: The Loophole

There is a loophole though. Even though you can’t post, you can Edit your post. As JonnyGamer said

But can’t i just edit

Don’t make really small or big replies so people can read through everyone’s messages. Slow mode can be configured to prevent edits within the same time frame, so please use it for corrections and thoughtful discussion only.

As the name indicates, slow mode can be enabled to slow down the pace of a topic and encourage more thoughtful discussion.

That’s it! Hope this informed you about the Slowmode Option

From @Jye

:warning: This Topic Is To Inform :warning:

7 Likes

Lets keep this topic full of replies that don’t say “great topic” or other things like that
And Please Stay On Topic

Let’s Talk To Improve This Topic as it was made to inform

4 Likes

Hey, nice topic, but let me just clear up a few confusions here:

This was most likely with one of the newer updates, and while we haven’t set a policy yet, it’s being used to moderate, not just test

I said “I read on Discourse somewhere” but I did not mean to imply that it is that way by default. On a local install, I saw that it was an option in the site settings.

It’s highly unlikely that this feature will be removed since it was added into the vanilla (unmodded/no plugin) Discourse that HSF uses.

6 Likes

If you’d like me to put this in a more centralized place, I can also add the information to Leads Q and A post 2.

3 Likes

yeah and could you fix the info in this op? @Awesome_E

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly what you want me to change it to. Maybe if you write another post, I can add the updated info in post 1 with modifications as needed?

2 Likes

Discourse does have limitations for really small and really big post replies.

10 character minimum and 32,000 char. maximum.

I wonder if this can be modified? :thinking:
(Of course there are <loopholes> to these.

The way I see it, if people are posting multiple times per minute, those posts may only consist of a couple words (unless you’re proficient at typing). And usually it’s a quick conversation.

If this is for moderation purposes, it seems like the only solution is to forcibly make people less active. It doesn’t matter if posts are long or short- but if there are many of them all of a sudden.

It just feels a little odd that post size is an issue. Now I’m second guessing how long this post is going to be, so I’m going to artificially end it right here. (How did I do? Is this the perfect size? Is it concise? Is it too much?) ← see I can’t resist myself this post is only growing. end.
wow I’m all self-conscious now -1

2 Likes

Can you add the correct info into there and into leaders QNA

It would help a lot if you could rewrite the conclusion while I add some info to Leads Q and A post 2

3 Likes

Sure Here It Is

That’s it! Hope this informed you about the Slowmode Option

1 Like

Much annoy with slowmode as it prevents me from conversing through text to other humans

1 Like

yes, but it’s always there for a good reason

Yes but the question is, can it be misused? I say yay to the question. Nay would negate human emotions in regards to a situation using slowmode. I do see the purpose humble friends, do not fear.

2 Likes

i mean, if you’ve used disc before, you’d know what slowmode is

90% of servers literally set a 6 hour slowmode

1 Like

I have, and yes it can be annoying. 6 hours is enough time to fly across the US.

2 Likes