What if we could control time?

I’ve always wanted a control block and or variable that would control time in Hopscotch, and I think it could be groundbreaking.

It would allow you to control at least the perception of time in that game. Basic time would be set at 1000. That would mean that 1000 is the normal pace of time. Altering the number would change the speed of time, and over all the pace of the project.

One of its benefits would be setting time to 999999+ in the beginning of projects with detailed backgrounds, and changing it back to 1000, as that would speed them up so you wouldn’t have to wait for it to work. “But why don’t you just speed up the objects making the background trails?” Because even with it sped up, it can take up to two minutes to finish, which will leave the person playing bored, and they will click off before the game actually starts.

The time block would also be useful if you are making different difficulties of a game. Like for example, if you were making a Geometry dash game, and you wanted to make different levels of difficulty without making a mess of complicated coding that you don’t even understand, use the time block! You could slow everything down for easier levels, and speed it up for the harder ones!

Now, if you wanted time to change as in day turning into night, there could also be a time variable that is affected by the time block!
The variable would have an automatic setting so that it would move by the time setting (naturally set at 1000). So if you were to make a simple background by using a very large square, then you could put inside of a repeat forever block to change its color (HSL or RGB) and change the color based on the variable so that it could be day or night. You could also add a new code block thing where the code is used every tick of time, idk.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my ramblings and ideas!

14 Likes

Kinda cool lol

first post

I sense a time warp coming

5 Likes

Isn’t there already a time variable?

2 Likes

I don’t think so lol

3 Likes

User var which can be used to set text to the current time zone that the user is in

3 Likes

We have it but its only for hopscotch subscribers

2 Likes

That would be pretty cool, but I’m talkin for projects, not actual time lol

4 Likes

Well I’m a broke person, so I wouldn’t know lol

2 Likes

I know
Just saying that’s the time var we do have

2 Likes

They should start releasing this stuff for the free version. Smh. They can’t keep us out of the dark forever.

2 Likes

@TheCMStudios I don’t really understand this since we already have a time variable (and I’m just confused), maybe you could help?

2 Likes

technically this could be done with the speed var

2 Likes

Well Hopscotch Subscription is one of the only ways hopscotch makes money

1 Like

Based off of real time. Night and day transitions as well

4 Likes

Sure, but it wouldn’t do much with stuff like complicated backgrounds, as even making the speed max, it would still take a minute. If we could change the speed of the project as a whole, then we could load the background in seconds!

2 Likes

Wow it works!

2 Likes

Oof. I tried advertising the idea to people who aren’t able to make complicated coding like that.

3 Likes

I mean it’s not that complicated. There are better ways to code this from the way I did it

5 Likes

I’m confused even more by what I’m replying to… wdym you like advertized

2 Likes

Controlling the speed of time seems like a great idea actually
Though something tells changing the speed of a game and the score at the same time won’t change how much score you get

5 Likes