What do you think is important to know as a new user?

Hi! I am helping THT out with a new “welcome to Hopscotch project”, which is going to be shown to every new member when they join Hopscotch in their notifications tab. As the information in this project needs to make the best possible impact for new users, I have decided to ask the community for help.

• What do you think is important for new users to know about Hopscotch?
  • Is there anything that you felt was missing when you signed up to Hopscotch? Any kind of information? Did something confuse you or impact your experience?
  • If you have played the current project presented to new users, what do you think its strengths and weaknesses are?
24 Likes

Probably knowing how the project system works.

• Where do published projects go?
  • How they show up in the channel
  • Where to find help for certain types of blocks
  • Community Examples
  • Briefly mention a filter system that filters out certain words and images – this will explain why others sometimes cannot see your project. If you wish, you can refer people to my filter topic, which can help them detect what words they should not have used.
  • Intro to forum account

@William04GamerA

16 Likes

Great, thanks!

9 Likes

Don’t worry about trust levels. Be active by giving input in the community, and visit often. 3 fast ways to move trust levels

7 Likes

I think it’s important to know how to publish, remix, or unpublish a project. I had trouble with that as a new user

9 Likes

explain what featured is. (right y’all still have that? sry haven’t been using wifi with the app so i dunno)

6 Likes

Sorta kinda yea lol

4 Likes

Maybe sharing projects and what the math blocks do

5 Likes

Yeah, but it is supposed to be easy for new users. Math blocks can easily become overwhelming. What math blocks do you think are most important to know about?

4 Likes

Great! Yeah, the project system should definitely be mentioned.

4 Likes

The inequality blocks like >=
They can be a little confusing
Most math blocks aren’t really used other than that

4 Likes

I agree.

2 Likes

Yes, that text is very hidden

2 Likes

The guidelines and reminding them to stay curious and ask questions and be kind! @William04GamerA

4 Likes

This is for Hopscotch, so do you mean the app guidelines?

4 Likes

Yes. The app guidelines (no swearing, chatting, inappropriate content, etc.)

3 Likes

Yeah, that should probably be included. Thanks for your suggestion!

4 Likes

Interesting. What kind of math blocks specifically?

4 Likes

Probably the trig ones if I had to guess. (I can write up something for that)

4 Likes

Trig, as FP said.

disorganized trig help

If it’s cosine and sine, this might help:

Trig Ratios (sin, cos, tan)

Unit Circle

(x,y) = (cosine, sine)

Special Right Triangles

These lengths are what make up the unit circle
These in the unit circle:

Others:

• arcsin, arccos, and arctan are inverses of sin, cos, and tan (you can Google that)
  • Min takes the lesser of the two inputs, max takes the greater of the two inputs
  • Modulo is remainder of division

Say you’re given an angle. Cosine gives you the x coordinate and sine gives you the y coordinate. Tangent is sine divided by cosine, or y coord divided by x coord.

Inverses are just as they sound. Put an x value into arccos and get the angle, y value for sin, etc.

preformatted so you can easily copy and paste

[details="Trig Ratios (sin, cos, tan)"]
![image|500x250](upload://kIicb9fqphJKiOlmCx6SS3WRDyu.png) 

---
[/details]
[details="Unit Circle"]
(x,y) = (cosine, sine)
![image|300x300](upload://kxBriCc31cQzTbCru6mt1si4nxm.png) 

---
[/details]
[details="Special Right Triangles"]
These lengths are what make up the unit circle
![image|543x283](upload://zMmw0FRzSYoM7Oj60WKcQTUfSGt.png) 
These in the unit circle:
![image|541x236](upload://5tjXgQ0gPgAXtd4nnlspEjEJlLZ.png) 

---
[/details]
Others:
- arcsin, arccos, and arctan are inverses of sin, cos, and tan (you can Google that)
- Min takes the lesser of the two inputs, max takes the greater of the two inputs
- Modulo is remainder of division

---

![image|500x500](upload://ccDArfZfYNDBp95a7FddfVUShR7.png)
Say you’re given an angle. Cosine gives you the x coordinate and sine gives you the y coordinate. Tangent is sine divided by cosine, or y coord divided by x coord.

Inverses are just as they sound. Put an x value into arccos and get the angle, y value for sin, etc.
6 Likes