What do you prefer sin/cos or turn?

hopscotchers
dolphy
help_with_code

Hi,
I would like to code a complex trail art although there's a massive turn in the hair that I may need help with so today I would like your opinion on what do you prefer/ know sine, cosine or turn, angles?

I would also love to have someone to help me with a few bits (I promise I will give massive credit) as I usally have difficulties with sin,cos and turn, angles, if you would like to help me please answer the polls/questions below,

Polls

how would you rate your knowledge on sin/cos

0voters

Votes are public.

*have you made any projects with sin/ cos before???

• are you ok with helping me?

Which do you prefer??

• Sine cosine
  • Turn angles

0voters

Votes are public.

Some sin cos masta's

@IShallNotBeNamed
@KVJ
@MR.GAM3R
@Petrichor
@t1_hopscotch

It depends. I normally use sin/cos. It gives me more control.

I was tagged while replying. After I got banned from a Minecraft Realm. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ohh wow, well umm would you like to help???

Since when was I a sine/cosine master? XD

I use both. It really depends on what you're making.

I use both but could only vote one :upside_down:

There's a way of using sin + cos in place of Turn whoops no that was for Move Forward.

(and you can also use Set Angle in place of Turn but I don't think it makes much of a difference if you're at a high Speed):

Turn 60 degrees
// or
Set Angle (self.rotation) + 60

I only use sin and cos in bold text. As for turn,

Thank you so much everyone!

Well um does anyone want to help me? (@Dolphin_coders) if so I would really appreciate it! :DDD

Here's what I would like to code! (spoiler)

either this

Or this

So basically I'm planning to Code Charlie Brown or snoopy :wink:)

Yeah I usally do something like that ;D

Hehe wow it would be awesome trail art, and lots of interesting shapes and parts to try and think about recreating! Hmm I can't say that I will actually be helpful but I would be glad to try help with any ideas throughout :smile:

(@IShallNotBeNamed has some great tips on trail art too, I can try find them)

I have no knowledge in sine cos whatsoever.

I am not good at sin and cos, so I use turn block because I know how to use them properly :slight_smile:

Good luck, i think i was going to do the snapchat logo but idk

Sin 0 = opposite/hypotenuse
Cos 0 = adjacent/hypotenuse
Tan 0 = opposite/adjacent
This is a good link about sine, cosine, and tangent

CoSine rocks! If you understand how to use it, it's fun and cool! :D

I guess it depends on what you're making and your overall knowledge on each.

Sine and Cosine

Sin/Cos is good for making quick and somewhat smooth curved lines, especially if you want it adjusted to a specific x and y coordinate for where it starts, ends, and how curved it is. It's also pretty good if you want to adjust it easily, adjusting angles in it is a little hard though. Here's a trail art I used a lot of sine/cosine in. (It's on my other account)

Turn and Move Forward

The turn block is more simple and is easier to generally understand than sin/cos. It creates lines that can be smooth, but can also be jagged depending on how quickly you choose to make it. In trail art, I usually use a combination of both sin/cos and turn/move forward, but I prefer turn and move forward. Using turn and move forward is less exact in terms of coordination, but it is really interesting to adjust and experiment with. You can use multiple values and also change x and y blocks to change the effect. In my opinion, the turn and move forward strategy is really underrated compared to sin/cos because it can be slow if you don't adjust its speed.

Tutorial for making Move forward/Turn Faster

Usually, you start with this.

(Tap to view the photo)
This is a code for a circle, but it's really slow. Here's how you make it faster. (Not using set speed. Set speed makes very little difference, I don't recommend it.)

Here's how it works. You pick a number, I used 8.
Divide the number of times it repeats by your number (8).
Multiply the turn degrees by your number (8).
Multiply the move forward distance by your number (8).

The higher your number is, the faster it will be, however don't make it too fast or it won't be smooth.

I find it a little more complicated getting the perfect lines with this because it takes a lot of adjusting, but for many cases, this technique has a better look when you're done.
Here's a project I used turn and move forward in a lot.

I prefer Sin/Cos as it's easier (for me) to achieve a precise outcome especially for more complex affects

• varying the width and/or hue during the stroke
  • elipses

E.g.

But in the end, just use what you're comfortable with!