Weird bug with older projects

Hello! This is zza. I’ve noticed that some older hopscotch projects(5-6+ years) are actually bugged out in the code and it’s really strange.
Let’s use this one for example: The Tree Party by Jac
If you look in the code, you can immediately spot something is wrong. I will show you the code.

Do you notice anything wrong?
You can see there are “move forward distance” blocks and just straight up “move forward” without any input sections.

10 Likes

The JSON file used to be coded differently, and what happens is that “Move forward” is the default block. So, every block you see there is in an old JSON file where the blocks don’t get recognized by the app, so they default to move forward blocks. Kinda weird, but it doesn’t really affect that many projects.

9 Likes

I suppose it’s pretty easy to tell what some of these blocks were…

Still, what a weird bug! I would’ve thought that player version would be accounted for before these blocks are actually parsed.

8 Likes

Yes this is the ancient language of Hopscotch. Mostly unstudied, but a rare few know it.

I think it translates as:

move into the future 100 milliseconds

But I could be wrong

10 Likes

don’tcha mean move forward FOR 100 milliseconds?

6 Likes

Lol I was here when that project was made

4 Likes

I don’t know but that move forward milliseconds looks really handy and should be added back into Hopscotch, but that’s just me.

4 Likes

Probably beacause they are old?:woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

I wasn’t here yet but I would be in 6 months.

Yeah like the others said, I would think they would account for it, but they didn’t. You may want to email THT about it, because I feel like this is a pretty big problem. And tell them that they should bring back the ‘move forward for ___ milliseconds block.’

3 Likes

Move forward degrease move forward milliseconds and move forward distance

2 Likes

move forward to = move forward until you reach this line of coordinates (I think)
move Forward distance = actually is what we have now, just move forward however many pixels
move forward milliseconds = move forward for this long, then stop
this is all just a guess

3 Likes
5 Likes

This is so weird… I also found out that if you edit and add a draw a trail block in an old project it default width to 0

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/11u2q8qmts

3 Likes

What showed up:

The code i added:

2 Likes

It was probably old

2 Likes

Oh you’re right I was incorrect

It’s actually

100 will push milliseconds forward until it moves.

3 Likes