Web Explorer Randomly Logs you out

Use this template to make awesome bug reports:

Your username: Tri-Angle

What browser are you using? Please paste your User Agent here: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_6) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/15.6.1 Safari/605.1.15

1 sentence description of the problem (I was doing _________, and then __________ happened): I was debugging using https://ae-hopscotch.github.io/hs-tools/play-project/ when the web explorer randomly logs me out. This is happening a lot to me, approximately every time i’m logged in.

Steps that the Hopscotch team can take to reproduce my problem every time:

1. Log in
  2. Leave the web explorer open backed up in your device, and do other stuff (open youtube, play a hopscotch project, whatever you want)
  3. After long enough, if you open again the web explorer, it’ll automatically restart the page, and you’ll be log out

I expected this to happen: Still being logged in, because it didn’t pass 48 hours

But instead this happened: It kicked me out ouch that hurts

Here’s a sweet screenshot:

9 Likes

this is annoying me because it happens almost every time i’m logged in ://

a few hours ago ae told me i’ll be logged out after 48 hours, which is not true for every time i’m logged out

3 Likes

Looks like Safari might be clearing your login cookie – I’m not exactly sure why that’s happening though. I’m not fully aware of Safari’s behavior when it clears a webpage from memory, but I would imagine that cookies are preserved.

3 Likes

it’s weird, i’m not using private navigation or anything like that

so i’ll assume this is not a bug right? guess im gonna be patient with web explorer lol

3 Likes

Yeah I bet it does /j

Oh really? Wow this is weird?

1 Like

I do use this a lot of the time, so I expect that when it reloads.

It might be? I think the cause might be the fact that the cookie comes from community.gethopscotch.com, but it’s set on gethopscotch.com. Since gethopscotch.com isn’t the same as explore.gethopscotch.com, it might be considered a third party cookie and therefore gets cleared every time.

It seems like buggy behavior, but I’m not sure if there’s a way to fix it given the current login implementation

5 Likes

I assume the same thing happens if you force quit all Safari windows?

2 Likes

wdym by force quit?

2 Likes

swipe up in app switcher

1 Like

nop
and it didn’t happen today during testing btw
pretty random (bug?)

2 Likes

I think this might have been happening to me too on Firefox, but I’d need to do more testing to make sure. I just logged in on Firefox Developer Edition, so I’ll wait a little while and see if the cookie gets cleared somehow.
(My regular Firefox setup is just really weird with cookies in general lol)

2 Likes