We should be able to see total likes in Hopscotch!

hopscotch

We should be able to see ours and other people's total likes and follows! Does anyone agree?

You can see the hearts on hopscotch projects. just not how many following. I find info on how many followers other ppl have of no value. I've played games/projects that I think a really excellent and they havn't appeared on featured or other titles. It doesn't matter to me how many other ppl like a game I like or if the creator doesn't have any followers.

I meant total likes.

Strongly agreed!
I've been thinking that idea every time that I play Hopscotch!
I think it will be useful ! ! !:joy_cat::smile_cat::smiley_cat:

@Stradyvarious,

That is a very interesting comment that you made, and wise, if i understood what you meant.

I could say more, but I'll just put it this way: Whereas the business of "following" is at least a little bit useful, in the sense of functional, the business of "likes" is not only not useful, but it is insidious. Turning the little, white heart into a little, red heart (i guess by enfusing it with blood?) costs me nothing - absolutely nothing. And that's the real value of my imaginary investment, and therefore, sadly, of my sentiment, no matter how sincere it is.

I wish there were a way to make it at least functional to "like" things, because today it is not. It doesn't help that everything I "like" shows up in a list of "favorites" in the hopscotch application. I'm thinking to myself, "Wait, wait! I said I 'liked' the last twenty nine projects - not that they are my 'favorites!' Just because I wanted to give encouragement to somebody doesn't mean that I want to have to sift through this ridiculous mass of projects from which I may not be able to learn anything new." It's not a very well-developed idea, is it?

But your comment is on the mark. I hope that idea will remain with you and as many people as read it. :sunglasses:

The only way to send a personal like to someone not on the forum is with a remix of their game with your message at the front and only if they bother to see your remix. I wish more users of Hopscotch joined the forum so i could encourage them.

No, I don't think it's a good idea because some people don't have many likes so there either become very sad or beg for likes and followers

@Wow_woman, you have caused me to think... and to reconsider a broad set of circumstances outside of coding. I'm not saying whether I agree or disagree, but I recognize your argument for what it is. I can't help wondering if you do. It is one polar extreme in the debate over whether "competition" of any kind is a good thing or a bad thing. As odd as it may sound, I guess the answer depends on how you think the universe really works and upon what your goal really is. That can get complicated, when you start considering people's feelings about things.

One way of summing up the position that you have taken is to say that if an undesirable outcome is even possible, nevermind likely, then whatever makes it so should be avoided. There are situations where that makes a lot of sense. But not all.

There's another statement that goes with that one. That is, if a desirable outcome is unlikely or rare, then it's pursuit should be abandoned, in favor of a situation where achievement is more likely, if not guranteed. But is that even achievement then?

Consider, if you will, sporting events where spectacular outcomes, however rare, are what make the game worth playing or worth watching at all. If you take away those rare but spectacular outcomes, and if you take away competition, then you've taken away the game itself. But you would be right to object that my example is a situation in which there are necessarily those who win and those who lose. And that seems to be something that you would like to avoid, here. I think I see your point, if that's so. Yes, the whole business of social cred or popularity or popular approval muddles a situation in which all you really care about is learning. But here's the thing: What if the pursuit of winning the approval of others (which costs no one anything to give) is, in fact, a legitimate motivation for learning, itself? At least for some people? In the same sense that discouragement may come to one personality type, when they do not receive the little red hearts or whatever, we may be depriving another group of a reason to strive for any goal at all, if we don't give them clearly-visible signs of achievement. Does that make any sense? Do we care about one group more than the other? Or are we just pretending to care about either one of them in the first place?

Anyone can see that the questions raised by your comment are as old as dirt and rocks and life. I think we might want to look at nature in order to decide what works and what doesn't.

So agree @oio I agree a lot

It's not exactly as simple as we might like, is it? :confused:

Not really :confused: Yeah I know

The reason why the Hopscotch team doesn't show how many likes and follows you have totally, is in fear that someone will brag or be hurt by their limited amount of likes.

Like @oio said, do we really want this competition? For some, they might look at the likes and follows and see how much they are improving. But there will be some who will take the amount of likes and follows and pretend to quit, like many Hopscotchers, until they get more follows and likes.

For me, I would like to see how many projects I've made, and who I follow.