We Can Make the Featured Page Better • Click here to learn how!

improvement
featured
howtoimprove
Tag List

ASK TO JOIN!

@XAMANION
@Awesome_E
@A_Metalhead
@tankt2016
@KayKat
@Zachyswag
@Maltese
@MiNi
@Sensei_Coder
@Dylan329
@BerryFOX
@DiamondDragon
@Rawrbear
@EnchantedHopscotcher
@BlastFusion
@PandaBlossom
@shamrockcat
@KVJ
@PumpkinGirl
@Petrichor
@William04GamerA
@lollypopcorn
@ArNR
@KoalaKrazy
@CatWithABrush
@bluedogmc-official
@Intellection74
@t1_hopscotch

We Can Make the Featured Page Better! And here’s how

By Panda Studios

Last Edited 3.7.19

Why It Should Change

There’s been lot’s of talk on how the Hopscotch Featured page is slowly decreasing of quality. And I agree. Featured isn’t even a goal anymore (at least for me). I don’t disagree that new Hopscotchers get to be Featured. I know a lot of Hopscotchers leave because they don’t get Featured. This is most likely the reason for the dramatic change in Featured quality.

But, in my eyes, there are much more problems with this new concept.

(Btw, I mean no offense to anyone. I am just stating my opinion)

1. Where’s that Motivation? Especially for intermediate coders, when getting on Featured is so easy, it’s just “meh”. When I got my first featured, maybe a year ago, I was yelling at the top of my lungs and showing my family eagerly. Same with the next two Features. But then, it sorta got downhill when the quality decreased. Now, I’m not disagreeable when I get Featured, just… unsatisfied, especially if that project might deserve a bit more.
  1. Well Deserved Projects Are Shunned. People have lower expectations, and therefore well-produced projects are shunned while being displayed next to poorly made featured projects. It is just a tiny bit unfair—Like for example, ThinBaffalo’s Rubik’s cube, which probably took him months, was displayed next to (not trying to be mean here), not-so-well coded projects.
Forum Opinions (other than mine)
BUT Since the Change Won’t Happen Anytime Soon...

Let’s help improve the Featured page together by ONLY nominating project that are

• Coded with at least intermediate code, meaning values & hopefully some variables
  • Projects that are creative, original, engaging, and
  • Projects that are made in a way you know the Hopscotcher spent just a little extra time to make it prettier
  • Projects published with an attractive screenshot
  • Projects that are innovative, with little mistakes, and have some modern coding
Edit For the Comments

But it is understood Featured is now a little bit out of control, and the Featured page is difficult to run especially when the people running it are working hard to try to please everyone. This problem is a Toughy to fix… (ima gonna edit this later but I’m sorta brainwashed at the moment)

The Official List

How Much Did You Like This Article?

0 voters

How Likely Are You Going To Visit My Other Articles?

0 voters

Explore other articles by @PandaS

22 Likes
Nominations for Featured 2!

Yeah I completely agree with you.
I find it really unfair how some projects get featured and then get pushed all the way down after other projects get featured. Do it one project at a time so that it has a chance to be a topic the top of featured and them gradually let it get buried in featured under other projects or something

9 Likes

And I know you get tagged a lot, Hopscotch Team, but I think you might want to see this

@SmileyAlyssa
@Madi_Hopscotch_
@hopscotch-curators
@Ana
@Liza
@Alish

Edit:
@Rodrigo
@awesomeonion

7 Likes

Tag people you might think might too

5 Likes

Liza left and I dont think Alish is active on here anymore.

Maybe tag Rodrigo or awesomeonion instead?

5 Likes

Well written, I 100% agree, I quit partly because of this

5 Likes

@PandaS Thank for being the voice of change we all need right now.

8 Likes

I completely agree with this topic!

Very good list!
I’m trying to do that with my latest wip

It’s still a goal for me.
Seriously I’ve been here for three years, ya think I would’ve made it there by now.

6 Likes

I agree. We can make featured better!

6 Likes

Agree with everything above – we should be more honest on the Nominations Topic and say if we don’t agree with certain nominations

5 Likes

Agree 1000% with you, @PandaS. It is ridiculous some of the projects getting featured.

Obviously I’m not trying to offend anyone. I just think a little more effort should have to go into a project to get it featured. I think that some of my featured projects didn’t deserve getting featured.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t call out projects like that, not because I don’t agree with you, but just out of respect for the creator and acknowledge of the fact that no one ever contradicted a nomination on the forums, so we can’t complain…

But yes, we need this change.

I think I big part of the lowered amount of likes on projects lays in the fact that some schools have BANNED Hopscotch, since for example people were sadly misusing it as a chatroom. This can be fixed by upgrading the filter that all projects go through when published (such as saying directly what stops the project from publishing), to prevent chat rooms and incidents like what happened to Twisty Arrow.

More schools will join again if Hopscotch proves itself to comply with school rules, because it is a great educational app and I was devestated to see it go back in middle school…

5 Likes

That probably was a bit mean. Out of interest, what happened to Twisty Arrow? (I really like it by the way.)

1 Like

@MISSION_IMPOSSIBLE Thanks!

Explanation

Should I bring back the explanation? It’s sort of embarrassing if you think about it…

1 Like

Ah. Well. Understandable, but a bit silly. (whoops.)

1 Like

@MISSION_IMPOSSIBLE
Indeed.

1 Like

What do you mean by

And

?

5 Likes

I get that, even some of my featured projects shouldn’t be there (“Act Fast” from my iPhone account with 500+ likes, which doesn’t even work properly?)

I don’t play many featured project, but I think that people just need to make their games look nicer, both in the thumbnail and gameplay.

Only about 10 projects in 2018 got 300+ likes (something low like that), so far nothing past 600 800 likes this year

4000 was the average in 2016, high about 9000

4 Likes

@Awesome_E I think that’s because schools may of banned Hopscotch

3 Likes

maybe banned but probably removed from catalog, but that should only result in ~40% decrease (65 worst case) in plays and likes, not 90%. More than just schools probably left the HS app in the dust

2 Likes