Want to help beta test a new Hopscotch feature?

Hey Hopscotchers!

The team is in the process of enabling local variables, and we want your help testing this new feature!

You might remember the concept of local variables from this thread.

With this feature, you can create a variable, and define a specific, “local scope” for it - meaning, it will be usable only in blocks of code that fall within the container you defined the variable for.

We’re looking for volunteers who’d like to download a beta version of Hopscotch using Testflight (Apple’s beta app program), test out local variables, and share feedback.

If you’re interested in participating, please:

1. Download Testflight from the app store onto the device you’ll be testing on; and
  2. Send me an email at liz@gethopscotch.com that includes the email associated with your iTunes account. (It must be the one associated with your iTunes ID so Testflight “knows” whom to send the beta build to!)

When the beta build is ready, you’ll receive an invitation to test at the email you provide that will allow you to download the beta app. We’ll also set up a separate forum thread to share feedback in.

Thanks for your help!

33 Likes

Cool!

Is there a limit to how many people can sign up?

3 Likes

Nope! No limit.

6 Likes

Nice!

4 Likes

Super cool, I’ll be happy to join!
is there a date yet for when the beta build will be ready to be opened?

5 Likes

I don’t have a specific date yet, but it will be soon (within the next week or so)! We’re just working through a few last bugs. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

that’s great, looking forward to it!

5 Likes

@Elizabeth im under 13, sorry… I can’t beta test

3 Likes

Wait there’s an age limit?

2 Likes

You need to be 13+ to use testflight

2 Likes

Sounds interesting. And I have used a beta profile from Apple (iOS/iPadOS Public Beta Program) before…

I think about it, I might even consider joining TestFlight, and perhaps someone who has used TestFlight before can give me a few pointers.

4 Likes

Hi @Elizabeth
I see 3.47.5(1) “Testing local variables” in TestFlight right now. I assume this one is not intended for beta testing yet?

4 Likes

@Elizabeth

Is Apple ID the same as iTunes ID?

1 Like

Nvm I looked it up…

I might consider the join,

I am only available online from Monday - Friday.

2 Likes

It’s super easy, TestFlight will just download a version of the app that isn’t available yet to the general public. Then you just use Hopscotch as you normally would, except focus on checking out the new aspects that they ask to be tested.

The feedback you give could range from how you like a new feature, to whether it feels intuitive, to reporting any bugs found. If the latter, try to give specifics so THT can reproduce the problem (and of course fix it).

One other consideration is that any project created and published using the beta version won’t be playable (maybe not visible, I forget that detail) by those without the beta version until it’s released to the general public.

5 Likes

I think if it’s not playable by the public community, it’ll surely be hidden from them as well (filtered).

1 Like

This will certainly be interesting, plus it’ll give me a chance to get a feel of how the local variables work and come up with ways I could use them. (Because sometimes using a feature yourself can provide more info of how they work than being told what they do via topics, posts, or even leaks (of features)).

4 Likes

Super interesting! I don’t think I’ll join, but it’s cool that you’re doing this. Makes it more community-involved and gets feedback from the public!

3 Likes

Never mind. I answered my own question by downloading and trying it. Wasn’t ready :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@omtl

If you’re still interested, send Liz an email at liz@gethopscotch.com!

16 Likes