Version 3.45.0 Official Topic

Buckle up, Hopscotchers - there’s huge news to share.

With this update, every single one of our coding kits just became FREE.

Yep, you read that right. :slight_smile:

Hopscotch’s mission is to expose every kid to the powerful ideas of computing through a programming tool that lets them make real software. And the best way for you to learn the core coding concepts you need to make amazing software is with Hopscotch’s coding kits.

These kits teach you everything from the basics to how to make your own versions of popular app store games like Pokemon Go and Rolling Sky. Until now, these kits have been subscriber-only.

That changes today.

Start with beginner kits like Make Plants Grow With Code. Then, learn how to make important game components with kits like Moving Backgrounds and Control Pad. Explore your artistic side with Pixel Art, or simulate the earth’s natural forces with Gravity. The sky is the limit!

You’ll also see an all-new coding course called ‘Learn From Kids’. This includes the very first kit made by a Hopscotch community member!

This version fixes a bug where the ‘message matches’ block was using the value of a text field if there was a ‘self’ string variable in your project, instead of what you’d entered in the block’s field. This is fixed now - phew!

Finally, if you’re Hopscotching with less-than-awesome internet connectivity, you should be able to start up the app faster.

Keep calm and Hopscotch on!

Please send feedback to hello@gethopscotch.com.

33 Likes

AMAZING! Making learning more available for kids is totally a huge step in the right direction! Keep it up!!

7 Likes

awesome!

6 Likes

Nice

Yes guys I am online

4 Likes

Well this ended up being bad

My notis don’t load @Elizabeth

2 Likes

who created this if you don’t mind me asking?

5 Likes

Great! Thanks THT!

2 Likes

:eyes: :no_mouth:

1 Like

The update hasn’t been approved yet?

3 Likes

Yes it has

2 Likes

No but sure

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you!

2 Likes

I have the update

1 Like

Lol I am not lying

1 Like

How amazing!

That’s great to hear – it’s totally the right move – the videos and community in Hopscotch are what stood out to me for all the years I’ve been using the app, and I am so glad to hear that tutorials will once again be free.

10 Likes

How can we make a coding kit?

4 Likes

Great! I’ll try them out. :blush:

3 Likes

Hello! The app still works best with a strong connection, we just made some improvements to help it start up a little faster if you have a weaker connection.

8 Likes

But I have good connection, and after this update it got worse…

1 Like

@Elizabeth I’ve just updated on my iPhone, and after looking through the coding kits section there’s no new ones, noir any new lessons either. Plus, the lessons that were free before this update still have the free tag.

9 Likes