Version 3.43.0 Official Topic

Guess what, Hopscotchers? Coding with text is officially out of beta! Now, everyone can use this awesome feature.

With this update, variables can be numbers, letters, symbols, or even emoji! What’s more, you can use the new “save input” and “set text to input” blocks to ask your game player to enter text, and then use it in the game. Check out the Mad Libs kit to get a taste of what you can make!

Read more about these features in this blog post.

Additionally, we’ve fixed a few small bugs:

• Bear is back! Now you can use the bear character as your avatar, ROARH.

• You can now rotate to landscape on the iPhone when you’re playing a project. You’ll have so much more space!

And, for those of you using the beta editor, there’s some fabulous new updates for you to try as well.

• First, you’ll notice a new class of variables under the heading “User”. These variables will save a user’s data between plays. Combine that with the new time blocks and you can make your own Animal Crossing, Farmville, and more!

• Second, for the artists out there, it just got a lot easier to draw animations. You can now duplicate and edit the custom art you’ve added to your project, making it super simple to start animating.

• Lastly, a highly requested feature is now in beta: you can finally delete variables. Try this out, and please let us know if you find any bugs!

31 Likes

Woohoo! I am trying these out right away

3 Likes

I thought I somehow upgrade to beta editor, without scenes lol. Now I am still wondering how they work

3 Likes

yes

3 Likes

YESSS!! FINALLY!!! Thank you Hopscotch!

3 Likes

I’m never going back

Also found an easily exploitable bug and emailed Ana recently

2 Likes

ah - for me this didn’t work?

I’m not sure why or if it’s because I’m currently running IOS 14

5 Likes

“symbols”

Can u? @Petrichor would this mess up the match’s block?

1 Like

nice

3 Likes

This is totally a huge update tho. I was so confused, cuz i was updated 24 hours ago

2 Likes

More space, there is a black border that is so annoying

3 Likes

Epic!

2 Likes

Oh hmm weird! It should work for you - will investigate!

10 Likes

I alerted ana yesterday about it too

4 Likes

I emailed this morning

3 Likes

Works on my moms iPhone which is on iOS 13

3 Likes

I love the new update! I have about 5 projects about it, and that’s a problem lol. I made a mad libs game with it, but it took a long time to figure it out. I can’t wait until the delete variable feature gets out of beta!

5 Likes

I uhh can’t wait until uhh the blocks for beta are uhh coming to uhh non beta yay.

I like hopscotch more now because now it doesn’t push your sub yay

3 Likes

Awesome!

4 Likes

Yay my phone can now go in landscape!

7 Likes