Using Sprite Sheets for Animations

Yes, that would work. If you didn’t want to use Set Text to create the animation.

1 Like

Yes, exactly right. Though it doesn’t necessarily need to be cloned objects at the same spacing. That’s just how I chose to do it. One big object on each side would work too.

2 Likes

Yeah, gifs would be interesting. Though I wonder how the memory requirements and frame rate performance would compare.

I’m hoping awesomeonion will be able to respond to this part when she has time regarding sprite sheets. If so, maybe she could touch on gifs as well.

@awesomeonion, if a project had many animations with numerous frames each, would you be able to offer some input as to whether or not this technique would yield an improvement of some manner for use with Hopscotch? Perhaps with memory allocation verses individual images? What benefits might the end user see? E.g. Faster loading? Would there be less load on the renderer, potentially increasing (or not reducing as much) the project’s FPS?

2 Likes

It sounds right to me. I think the hardest part would be getting the UI right, I think most people would find sprite sheets confusing. I think a win would be for us to automatically turn all your images into a sprite sheet. I think this optimization will make more sense as our subscriber numbers grow and we get more kids using images.

5 Likes

Well to test your method without needing to have a subscription

1 Like

Yes! I totally get you here! I finally understand

2 Likes

Doesn’t Hopscotch have a set image block?
Couldn’t you use that to kinda make a sprite sheet?

3 Likes

With the images, I mean…

1 Like

Is that a new character in Hopscotch?

3 Likes

Not sure, I found the picture off the internet… :no_mouth::no_mouth::no_mouth:

2 Likes

I create, ftu

1 Like

I just wanted to show IMG_1238

Should I make it faster?

2 Likes

Add more frames.

2 Likes

Thinbuffalo opened this topic as for simplification, because many of those blocks causes more lag than the method he suggested

3 Likes

Like what? This weekend I get to do whatever I want

1 Like

If it’s walking, add in between frames.

1 Like

So you say… you see the first pose, you put that pose in the middle of the walking?

Oh yeah, check out me and my frens collab account @SmileyIceTurnip

Finnish your game ahhh
Only a few days left before I close my comp

Edit: extended to March 3rd

1 Like

New%20Piskel%20(1)

FTU! I made. Idk who to tag so @TheCoders @ThinBuffalo

7 Likes