Update on leadership in the forum

leader

Ermergerd. This forum has kept growing and growing, and we are so excited about all the awesome projects that have come out of it. Nice work.

To keep up, we need to grow our team of leaders and moderators who help keep the forum positive and fun :slight_smile:

Now you’re probably wondering, “What are ‘leaders’?” This post should tell you everything you need to know. But ask away if you have more questions :slight_smile:

What are ‘leaders’ and why do we have them?
The forum is way too big for just THT (mainly me and @Meg !) to manage, and leaders help us keep it happy and helpful. They set the tone of the forum by providing useful answers to questions and making sure that topics are relevant and positive.

The forum software we use, Discourse, describes it like this: “Leaders are regulars who have been around forever and seen everything. They set a positive example for the community through their actions and their posts. If you need advice, these are the folks you turn to first.”

How are Leaders chosen?
The Hopscotch Team chooses leaders with the input of the community. We look for Hopcotchers who have been a part of our community for a long time and who consistently demonstrate kindness, helpfulness, maturity, and excitement about building on Hopscotch. Some specific things we look at include time on and participation in the forum and the app (how much and what you contribute) as well as how you contribute (being kind, patient, and not interested in drama :sleeping:).

Leaders focus on, and represent, our community.

If I want to become a leader, what should I do?
Help make the forum a place you are proud to be a part of! And keep at it—it takes time to become a leader in anything, including Hopscotch.

• Be helpful: ask good questions, answer other people's questions and direct them to other relevant threads
  • Be kind: always be respectful, keep your cool, and treat people like you want to be treated. Don't gossip or talk about other Hopscotchers (drama is boooring)
  • Make it useful: post on the forum about making stuff on Hopscotch
  • Be mature and responsible (this is why you've noticed that many of the leaders are older—we get better at these things as we get older :stuck_out_tongue: )
  • Spread positive energy throughout the community. Have fun!

Some other good ideas here from @Poptart0219 and @RobotPro: http://forum.gethopscotch.com/t/be-an-awesome-member-of-the-forum/5496

What happens if I’m not chosen as a leader?
Everyone who consistently demonstrates awesomeness in the forum already is a leader.

There are over a thousand Hopscotchers in the forum who need your help! We’re counting on you to make this forum an awesome place to be creative and make cool things. So, ask questions when you have them, help other people out when you can, and always try to be your best self. Each one of you is hugely important to the forum and to us, and we’re so grateful that you choose to spend your time making stuff on Hopscotch.

Congrats to our new leaders, we're excited for all you're going to do for the community!
@Mathgirl, @SmilingSnowflakes, @Gilbert189, @Intellection74 and our new moderator, @PopTart0219.

-- Liza @Meg, and the whole Hopscotch team :slight_smile:

I Want to Be A Leader Someday!
You're a leader too!
I'm working to be a leader!
Badges / tags 🤓🤓/ mod stuff
What are Trust Levels?
We Need Leaders Club! (W.N.L)

WHOO HOO!!!

Congrats @mathgirl, @gilbert189, @Intellection74, @SmilingSnowflakes and @PopTart0219!

You all deserve it, and I can't wait to see what the future of the forum will look like! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hey SA, wanted to try this. :laughing: -Gilbert

Congrats, @Intellection74, @Mathgirl, and @SmilingSnowflakes!! Special congrats to @PopTart0219 as well!!

Congrats @mathgirl, @gilbert189, @Intellection74, @SmilingSnowflakes and @PopTart0219!

Why this "speech" took me so long to write, I don't know, but...

OMG congrats guys! I'm so proud of all of you!

So let's start with Gilbert189!

I don't know how close we've gotten since you've joined the forums. You're honestly like my little brother! I always knew you'd be promoted to leader. You are one of the nicest people I know! I'm so glad that you became leader! Ever since April, I've been anticipating for this day! I've come so close to promoting you myself during these past few weeks and so has @BuildASnowman, but we knew it'd be best for @Liza to promote you. I'm so happy that you're officially a leader! You are now a member of the Bot Fighting Squad!!! Yay!

and then we'll move on to Intellection74

I don't think I've ever met a person like you. You are so mature! I've never even seen you become mildly annoyed on the forums! You really deserved leader! I've been predicting this all along! You are so helpful and one of the first people to step up to help! Can you withstand the craziness of the doc? xD

then SmilingSnowflakes!

You are always super happy and nice! You completely deserved this badge! It makes me so happy to see you as a leader!

our final leader, Mathgirl!

You certainly appeal to me as a math girl! I know we're not that close, but congratulations! You make amazing projects!

**And last, but not least, Poptart!**

I'm so happy for you, I can't explain it through words. We've gotten soo close since the day you came here. We've made amazing memories. Bleh User You are one of the people I want to meet so badly in real life. I always knew that this day would happen. You're amazing and don't let anyone tell you that you aren't. You're one of my favorite people I know! Don't forget to judge people's eyebrows. xD
You have now been allowed to approve/disapprove flags, check ip addresses, check regular status, promote/demote people up to leader, delete posts/topics/users, and suspend/block accounts! You will do amazing and I trust your judgement knowing you so well! If you need help, you can always ask me or BuildASnowman!
CONGRATS!!!

Congrats to all of you again! You guys all deserved it! I can be even lazier now!

Ohmahgerd. Gilbert edited my post!
Nice job @Gilbert189!

YAAAAAAY

Congrats to @Mathgirl, @Gilbert189, @Intellection74, and @SmilingSnowflakes!! I'm sure all of you guys will make great leaders!
Congrats to @PopTart0219 too! You're gonna make an AWESOME moderator!

throws confetti everywhere

Yay! That's awesome!!! Congrats!!! :D

@Gilbert189 Thank you! And congratulations to you too! XD
@Kiwicute2016 Thank you! :D
@SmileyAlyssa Thank you! XD
@Giraffedolphin26 :D
Thank you!

@Candycane Thank you! :D :D
@Bubbles4Ever929 ;-; XD
THANK YOU! :D

Congratulations, @Gilbert189 @Intellection74 and @Mathgirl! :D

YAY!!!1! XD

ERMAGERSH!!!

@Mathgirl, @Gilbert189, @Intellection74 and @SmilingSnowflakes,

HUGE Congrats to you all, you will be amazing as leaders!!

Congrats on being a mod, @PopTart0219

Oh my goodness!
How is the forum growing so fast?

Congratulations, everyone!

I'm sure you'll all make great Leaders/mods!

Now I shall actually read the topic.:stuck_out_tongue:

It has all the options that a leader has. (Open, close, etc.)

Yay!

Congrats @Intellection74 @Mathgirl @Gilbert189 @SmilingSnowflakes and our new mod.... @POPTART0219!!!

Have fun being leader and doing leader stuff!

Also @SmilingSnowflakes my Senpai is growing up so fast ;-; XD

I can't wait until @PopTart0219 @Intellection74 and @Mathgirl when they come on the forum and see their notifications! :stuck_out_tongue:

SENPAI

U R a leader now. You have gr8 responsibilities now.

And you also have awesome new tricks. Fabulous.

@Liza can we throw a forum party for all of these wonderful new leaders/mods? It's so exciting! :smile:

Congrats @SmilingSnowflakes, @Mathgirl, @Gilbert189, @Intellection74 and @PopTart0219!!! You deserve it :D

Yeah can we?

I'm patiently waiting here for every new leader/mod to come on and realize they were promoted
XD
Today's a very happy day :D

:D SO EXCITING!!!

I can't wait to see @Poptart0219's reaction!