[Unofficial] How -1, +2, and ÷4 came to be, and why I'm creating √-1

There was nothing in the beginning. There was only Zero. Zero was all. All was Zero.
Suddenly, two divine beings came into existence.
One of them was evil and believed in the apocalypse. Its name was Evil, and it manifested in @Petrichor (?) and -1.
The other was the hero and tried to stop Evil. Its name was Good. It has manifested in +2.
They have warred against each other for billions of years.

As more and more beings came into existence Evil and Good made their own factions: -1 (Evil) and +2 (Good).

Over time, the factions grew more, and there were people who were opposed to both factions. Thus, ÷4 was created: The Little Known.

But three cannot be in balance.

One must prevail if they are to be together in a group of 3.

That must change.

Therefore, I propose a new one: √-1. they lean very slightly towards -1 but more towards +2. I am the leader.

Now we can be in balance peacefully for eternity.

All is now at rest, hopefully.

14 Likes

are there going to be projects about square root of -1? that would be a good way to advertise

7 Likes

I don’t know. They are simply a balancing force but sure.

2 Likes

It’s cool that you’ve got another coding cuIt idea to balance it haha. But if there’s not projects, then this isn’t too coding related and it doesn’t need its own topic

6 Likes

MAKE PROJECTS ABOUT √-1 GUYS
SPREAD THE WORD
COPY THE OP INTO PROJECTS
CODE WHATEVER YOU WANT IN IT
(a complete sentence so that the filter gets it, lol)

3 Likes

ooh, imaginary numbers enter the playing field!

have you checked out the book of CHEINSTTROARLY? it’s a coded book with a cool origin story for -1! perhaps you could make something similar supporting i?

9 Likes

OK! Can you link it?

3 Likes

I’m in the process of finding it - took a bit to remember how to spell

ah- here it is!

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/zrzetwq9c

6 Likes

Cool…it is kind of…uh, interesting… lol

yeah, glad you got the reference, it reminds us that all this is imaginary

3 Likes

!MATH PUN ALERT!

√(-1) 8 Σ π… and it was delicious.

I deal with imaginary numbers a lot because I have done Algebra before…

4 Likes

How does i lean more towards +2 than -1?
If you view i as the vector (0, 1) and +2 as the vector (2, 0) and -1 as the vector (-1, 0) you get that the distance between i and -1 is sqrt(2) and the distance between i and +2 is sqrt(5). So it seems to me that i is closer to -1 than +2.

2 Likes

Interesting! What types of questions have you come across with them?

oh ok @Serenity pls edit what @The_Vast_Void said (they lean more towards -1 than +2)

3 Likes

GBOT

Yes supreme leader

2 Likes

who’s a good puny mortal? you are!
lol jk

3 Likes

±1
how bout ±1?

No
I like i

1 Like

No
I like i
Because i do

1 Like

Math trivia: The square root of -1 is called i. It’s one of the few “imaginary numbers” because it exists in mind but cannot be proved to exist in the real world.

1 Like