Turbo mode for hopscotch

Hello! zza here! As someone who makes computationally intense projects( for example, Mandelbrot set and other fractals), i find the render times kind for these projects very slow(around 2-5 minutes) so perhaps there should be a “Turbo mode”. Kind of like scratch.
Here’s an example of one of my projects.

(It isn’t the Mandelbrot set but you get my point)

19 Likes

Love the idea! That would be awesome!

6 Likes

What is “turbo mode”? I don’t quite understand.

9 Likes

It basically makes everything faster. Like how projects end up 2 times faster when you edit the project that was still loading and play it.

8 Likes

Ah
Makes sense

6 Likes

Not sure how turbo mode will be able to work in Hopscotch, as there is a limited refresh rate of 60 FPS, which is basically the fastest the RequestAnimationFrame (I’m talkin’ JavaScript again) can go (correct me if I’m wrong).

9 Likes

It would also be cool if we were able to make use of blocks that can run without screen refresh, like the “My Blocks” in Scratch, which basically calculates everything in the background, and shows the result on screen after it’s done running, the time it takes is almost instant, as opposed to a couple seconds, but background lag can still cause it to take a few frames to load the result.

8 Likes

why sometimes fps goes to 120? just curious

6 Likes

It’s caused from editing a project that was still loading, which somehow made it twice as fast. It makes everything faster: movement, variable updates, etc.

6 Likes

If this is possible to implement, it would be very cool to have in Hopscotch!

9 Likes

This could be possible but it would take longer amounts of time to load. First it has to load the project on normal speed and then you can do it.

I’m probably wrong though.

5 Likes

I would enjoy this!

5 Likes

would that make my lag test projects faster or slower?
i only ahve a quintillionth of my brain cell working

2 Likes

Well, I think this would be up to 120 FPS, but if your device can’t handle it, the project will still run at a lower FPS

5 Likes

I do have a device with Pro Motion (120 Hz), and with a flip of a switch I can limit it to 60 Hz.

TBH, I think only the latest Pro Models have 120 FPS compatibility (not sure about the iPhone models, though)

3 Likes

Would be cool to set Turbo Mode programmatically with blocks.

(Also, screen FPS is totally separate from calculation/runtime speed. FPS is a term used for measuring lag and actually drawing things to the screen in real time. Turbo mode would simply carry out more actions at a higher processing speed.)

4 Likes

Well, most blocks in Hopscotch take 1 frame to complete for a reason (because otherwise it would make the result look not right). I think it would be useful if Repeat Times competed all on the same frame (as in repeat times 10 would take 1 frame instead of 10 frames, like in Scratch. And yes, I know scratch is browser based instead of app based, which may be the number one reason why most blocks on Scratch can execute on the same frame).

2 Likes

Yes, FPS can be used to measure lag.

A more standard definition for FPS (Frames Per Second) is the number of times the screen can refresh every second.

Lag is mainly caused by actions that take more frames than usual to complete.

And then there’s latency, which is the delay between when a user interacts with something, and when that interaction is actually recognized.
Take the Apple Pencil 2 for example, which has a latency of 9 ms. It’s delay is so slight, that you can barely see any latency.

3 Likes

Apple Devices with ProMotion: iPad Pro 2018+, iPhone 13 Pro (/Max), M1 Pro/Max MacBook Pros

Yeah, but Hopscotch still runs at 60 since it wasn’t programmed to adapt to the refresh rate. If it were 120, you’d also be playing all other projects at double speed (assuming the webplayer isn’t modified to accomodate the difference), which is certainly not the case.

(Whoops, Rawrbear pointed this out already)

Indeed.

3 Likes

so essentially that could turn my projects into some sort of benchmark? if so could there be a way to measure how a person’s device can handle it?

2 Likes