Today I bring the idea of trust levels to hopscotch. Just like the forum, you would meet certain criteria to reach new trust levels.
Why would this be helpful?
• Unfortunately, many users use hopscotch as a form of social media. While some of these are automatically filtered (within 2 min.) it’s not 100% effective. Having trust levels would help to prevent this as I’ll elaborate below.
• Similar to the last, some users say mean things to each other, start fights, etc.
• Finally, remixes are often abused and projects are stolen. While there is the remix banner, it can be glitchy. While some remixes are helpful (fixing someone’s code, doing a collab, etc.) others can be harmful or simply pointless. As many of us have seen, user can easily remix your project and say its their own. This is why (along with trust levels) I believe you should have to at least change one thing (like updating a project) to remix it.
What would the levels be and what permissions would they have?
Here are some starter ideas using forum names.
Basics would have a project limit of one project a day (to prevent chatting) and would not have the ability to remix a project. Basics would not be able to flag a project.
• Visit for at least a month (total)
• Publish at least 3 projects
• 1 or no flagged projects (because new users might not be familiar with the guidelines)
• No suspensions
Members would have a project limit of 2 projects a day and would have the ability to remix a project if they change code. Members would not be able to flag a project.
• Visit at least 50 of the last 100 days
• Post at least 5 projects
• 2 or fewer flagged posts.
• 1 or no suspensions in the last 100 days.
Regulars would have no project limit and would have the ability to remix a project. Regulars would be able to flag a project.
• Manual promotion.
All permissions of regulars plus the ability to curate projects, unpublish projects, view and resolve flagged projects, demote/promote users to different trust levels, suspend/ban users, and probably more.
Promotions to and from basic, member, and regular would be automatic. Just like the forum, you could be moved down a trust level automatically (not meeting criteria) or manually by a leader (for extreme circumstances). All these ideas are subject to change and are just an outline of what hopscotch could look like.
- No (respond why)
- Neutral/accidental vote