Tri-Angle's Project Updates Topic

hehehehe broke your project using multiple fingers

if I leave and re-enter the project this happens (pic before the rocks appeared)

edit: whoops

3 Likes

happy π day y’all :D

5 Likes

for my platformer, got really productive yesterday and coded jump tile (w animation) and portal in one single evening lol. portal effect is crazyyy because the player is a trail and it has really cool property when portalled

6 Likes

welp i didnt loose motivation at all this time because i just coded dirt tile as well as a mechanism allowing multiple portals in a single level
and fixed a jumping bug
and decided that jump pads jump lower than the jump button and sneak peak jump button will soon disappear
lmk if yall would like to play, but i will not publish on hopscotch because i seem to loose motivation each time like that lol somehow (ill link an ae link)

3 Likes

project is faster than whats shown - my ipad is old and the fps is slowed down when screen recording

magenta tile → normal tile
purple tile → jump pad
brown tile → dirt
floating yellow circle → coin
flower → portal (needs some color identifier rework)

cool?
  • yes
  • i am posting a tile suggestion down below

0 voters

Development spies - feel free to join by voting in post 1!

@Dragongirl1264 @Dolphin_Blast @Cutelittlepuppydog @C.H.Rissole @SEPIA @Liquid @Innerpanda @RoadOcean @Limon @moocow @affogato @creationsofavillager @KingGuin87 @MarkerGames @braynee202 @CreativePenguin @Rapterdragon_83 @Clownpig @Octo-Pi @StarlightStudios @Fusion_Studios @Henry @hubert785

7 Likes

wow the tiles look amazing and the jump tile is super smooth. i also like the teleportation tile, looks super clean. nice job on the tiles! one thing that id change is that the colours dont really fit. maybe change the colours?

3 Likes

do you have a color palette? i dont have one lol

3 Likes

maybe you could lighten it up with blue and some blueish-grey, or you could keep it dark with black and white.

2 Likes

Regarding this, are you also supporting multiple of the same colored portals like in your example?

How does your portals determine where the player will be teleported to (is it based on distance, or is it hard coded)?

3 Likes

its hard coded - p/q/r/s is for portal tile but with different directions, and 01 23 45 67 89 are the numbers after the letter to combine different portals

i think hardcoded is advantageous because youre not only restricted to the nearest portal

3 Likes

That’s like 400 different portals, if smth like p00 is different from q00…

If the directions are just for show, and p00 teleports you to q00 or s00, then that’s still 100 portals…

You could easily do a combination of Hue and Saturation (18 hue colors and 15 saturation value) to create all 100 different distinguishable colors.

I found saturation values of 12, 24, 46, 64, and 100 to work wonderfully for making the colors noticeably different.

3 Likes

no lol its 5 pairs of portals per level lol

[pqrs]0 and [pqrs]1
[pqrs]2 and [pqrs]3
[pqrs]4 and [pqrs]5
[pqrs]6 and [pqrs]7
[pqrs]8 and [pqrs]9

4 Likes

Oh. Then you can easily distinguish them with these vibrant colors:

• \textcolor{rgb(255,0,0)}{\text{Red}}
  • \textcolor{rgb(255,255,0)}{\text{Yellow}}
  • \textcolor{rgb(0,255,0)}{\text{Neon Green}}
  • \textcolor{rgb(0,255,255)}{\text{Aqua}} (H=180)
  • \textcolor{rgb(255,0,255)}{\text{Magenta}} (H=300)

I find red, orange, yellow, neon green, aqua, blue, violet, and magenta to be the most common colors for colored portals (in LittleBigPlanet 3, that is).

Would probably be easier if you did [p-s][0-4]\d{4} to mark the location of each portal you are teleported to. Yes, you end up using more data, but I’d like to see you try finding a better approach. Then again, you are the best at even surprising great Hopscotchers.

So p00257 would be a red portal that would teleport you to the portal at index 257.

If we had lists, we’d be able to just get the index of the phrase p2 instead of having to do the binary search…

4 Likes

looking forward in posting another osc so dont expect big updates any soon

3 Likes

super excited!

3 Likes

this morning i did some incredible code improvements that saved the fps from 30 to 60

@/crosbyman64 i think i made the jump pretty consistent without needing the divide gravity by 2 thing. it had to do with some weirdo min/max settings in my collision code and for now im unable to explain why it is acting like that

also, im naming my platformer “the backpack platformer” or something like that, because of a long-time planned unique feature ive been sneak peaking suuuper carefully in this topic

3 Likes

i have a feeling ik what the feature is haha, i won’t share it in order for it to be a surprise if you like

2 Likes

well you can post it and delete it as soon as i like your post

2 Likes

yep it is indeed
i thought you knew more haha i was kinda afraid and confused
i think ill be able to finish coding it before next weekend or something

2 Likes

really excited, sounds like a great concept that would fit well for the project.

2 Likes