Transparent photo backgrounds

Hi there. I’m trying to use an image in my project that already has a transparent background. But it displays in my project without the transparency. In other words, it just shows white as the background.

I’ve reviewed the YouTube tutorial that explains how to do this, but it’s not working. We’ve tried this with multiple images, and in a few different ways, but it still doesn’t work. Could this be a bug? Is there a different way to work with background images in the new version of HS? (The YouTube video was from several versions ago.)

18 Likes

Hey there @Sector9! If possible, could you show us a picture or gif anyhow?

4 Likes

Yes we need it.

2 Likes

Is the transparency lost in Hopscotch or in the Photos app? Does the image already have transparency in the iOS Photos app? (i.e. when opened, it has the black background, and is transparent when pinched out)

I’m not sure about in Hopscotch, but I know that for the Photos app, there is some behaviour with iOS Photos optimising storage, and sometimes it doesn’t handle PNGs with transparency very well. A workaround is to send the picture to the Files app first, before exporting it to Photos.

And also pictures with dimensions of less than 360 x 360 lose their transparent background in the Photos app

Just a note, I have been able to upload photos with transparent backgrounds into Hopscotch, in the latest version.

10 Likes

Uhhh… I dunno.

3 Likes

And welcome back!

2 Likes

Welcome back @Sector9! It’s good to hear from you.

Perhaps you could show us a picture of what your experiencing so we all can understand it better? Thanks!

I’m not a total expert on image bugs due to the fact I don’t use custom art, so you can expect some questions from me.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

3 Likes

Yesss I really need this
This is really annoying, and my ‘border removing’ skills are really bad

3 Likes

I have been able as well

it just takes a while to find an image that’s actually transparent when downloaded to photos

5 Likes

It’s super easy to make them transparent btw, especially if they have a solid color bg

Try using a bigger image like T1 said, sometimes photos does some wack things, but larger images w/ transparent bg’s work fine for me. Just find the sweet spot!

2 Likes

I tried increasing the image size to 361 and it worked! Thanks!

(I used GIMP for Windows.)

5 Likes

I know I am a day late, but I realized that I had an open reply draft for this topic which I forgot to post.

A tip: if you want to remove the background from an image, you can also use the magic power of AI: https://remove.bg. This website works with most images and will use AI to remove the background.

7 Likes

ah thanks for posting a good link - bookmarked!

5 Likes