Trail Art System Guide

trailart
guide

In progress

Guide to using Trail Art System (TAS),

a Hopscotch in-editor framewor𝗄 for quickly creating trail art! This system currently has support for drawing 4 types of shapes, and can of course be combined with regular trail art.

The TAS allows each object to have up to 5 commands queued, so there is no need to worry about timing.

How to use:

Setup

Use this empty template: Template
or
Remix the latest version of the TAS and remove all objects except for the two text objects in the upper left corner.

If you want to change the amount of clones that draw the shapes, go into the text object named “Draw Shapes” and open the custom rule “Setup”.

Usage

For any object that you want to be able to use the TAS in, drag out the custom rule named (:art: 𝙐𝙎𝙀 𝙏𝙍𝘼𝙄𝙇 𝘼𝙍𝙏 𝙎𝙔𝙎𝙏𝙀𝙈 :art:), and put it above all other rules (“when” blocks) in the object.
This object will now be able to send drawing commands to the TAS.

Drawing

To draw a shape, you first need to set the parameters.
The following parameters can be used, but some shapes only require a few of them:

This means you can use the blocks set position, set angle/turn, and set variable.

After you’ve set the parameters, draw the shape by setting one of the self variables with a :crayon: emoji to “True”. You can use the following shapes:

This will draw the shape where the object is, with the rotation and parameters you set.

Example code

This code will draw a blue square rotated 45 degrees:

Publishing

If your project is showing up as remixed, tag me and I can fix it for you.
Future versions will probably not show up as remixed.

Latest version:

that one topic with 14 likes and no replies

Does this use those hidden blocks or variables from the Hopscotch files? Or is it entirely made from the normal hopscotch features?

No, it’s completely made in the app.

Awesome! This reminds me a bit of a similar system made by @ThinBuffalo. Yours has a little “twist” on it though.

That’s true, although @ThinBuffalo’s project is more advanced. The focus of the TAS is to make it easy to understand and code with. It is also a bit of a proof of concept of in-editor frameworks.

Yeah, the simplicity is something I was quite surprised about.

I should make a topic like this for my website making project.

I saw that project, it’s really cool. Do you use a similar way of coding the website?

Kind of. You set variable to create each object (one variable references a custom block you can edit to set other variables, one sets the text content [if any] and one sets the y position if it’s not going immediately below the previous element.)

After the variables you add a custom ability for what you want.

More detailed instructions on everything are in the instructions text.