Thousands of characters in text break projects

Use this template to make awesome bug reports:

Your username: Temmy (Teminem on hopscotch)

What kind of device are you using?: iPhone XR

1 sentence description of the problem (I was doing _________, and then __________ happened): I was working on a hopscotch project when I pasted several thousand characters into a single text object, and then I got several errors when trying to play the project.

Steps that the Hopscotch team can take to reproduce my problem every time:

1. Create a project with a text object
  2. Paste thousands of characters into the text object
    …. 3. attempt to play the project, and refresh it.

I expected this to happen:
Nothing to happen and the project to load fine.

But instead this happened:
I got a whomp error, a “hm, it looks like something is wrong” error, the infinite loading bug, and when the project did play, the black box replacing text bug, more whomp errors, and whatnot

Here’s a sweet screenshot:
Thousands of characters in a single text object at the minimum size.

Both errors and the infinite loading bug behind the error messages.

16 Likes

I think it just can’t handle it lol

4 Likes

It probably just can’t handle it, although it should be able to.

I haven’t done thousands of characters, but the latest project I worked on ended up having a lot of text, and it broke frequently too (got all the same errors you did multiple times). I wonder if that’s related, or it’s just my devices not being able to handle the project.

7 Likes

Is it consistent? Try closing the draft and re-entering it. It is consists, then you can panic…

4 Likes

Wow it’s probably too many characters? Link? I need to see this

5 Likes

I tried posting like 1mil characters of text saying “-1”, same result

3 Likes

Huh. My device should be able to handle it just fine, and it did when the project actually loaded, thought he black box error may be preventing lag.

@Crosbyman64 yes, it’s consistent. I checked before making the report. It’s not an issue for my draft as I did this in a test project.

Dragongirl, can’t link as the project can’t load lol

6 Likes

Oh right set size to 1 and I’ll remove it

4 Likes

Ooh, maybe the max character limit is 4096, just like the objects…

3 Likes

Can’t, it’s already at minimum size and the project never gets to load in the first place due to the infinite loading issue

2 Likes

Oh wow, maybe copy project (don’t copy by holding down, just code a copy) and do that but with invis 100? I wanna see

3 Likes

I don’t think that will work…

3 Likes

Nope, just check and 4097 characters works fine

1 Like

No it can’t, no code can execute since the project won’t load after pressing okay

2 Likes

I’m saying to make another one

2 Likes

I’m not surprised. I mean, I don’t think hs handles thousands of texts. Does breaking it down work?

2 Likes

There must be a limit somehow. Maybe add some characters and play it each time, once the error appears, delete some characters until the error no longer appears (be sure to record how many you inputted).

5 Likes

I don’t think there’s a developer imposed limit, and even if there was its very high, so I’m not gonna try

4 Likes

You could’ve added 1000 characters each time, then add less as you grow closer to the error.

3 Likes

That happened to me when I was trying to put the 189,819 letter word for titin

I have fun

3 Likes