There’s Too Much Spam At This Point

Just let’s hire some people (or an AI) at Hopscotch Team so each time a project gets posted, they dedicate just as little as around 5 minutes to give it a little look, and if it’s a blatant hi who wants role play from just the thumbnail, it gets disapproved with a polite message, but if it’s visibly and understandably a normal project, (once again by looking at the thumbnail) it passes

4 Likes

That is what I wrote XD

3 Likes

I’m totally fine with people doing projects that aren’t games. While it goes away from the original purpose of Hopscotch, if they enjoy it then just let them have it, but yes people who just put it in every hashtag is very annoying. If someone made a project which somehow fits every hashtag, then yes, they can put it in every one. But a project that doesn’t meet all of them shouldn’t be put in all of them.

Basically, it is really annoying how people put their projects in every single hashtag. Like, why? I know it’s so the project is seen and all, but come on

4 Likes

Alright, so I see that you guys disagree with the supposed limitations of a project to be published, although I strongly suggest the implementation of these features never the less for some, if not all of the tabs. This implementation is sure to highlight projects that users who may not have many followers create. These projects tend to be higher quality because when you reach the requirements I have suggested, it is most likely that you either have a good project, or a good starting draft. The requirements would stop hopscotch from being used as social media and keep users from messaging each other using projects, which not only ruins the purpose of a coding app, and clutters up tabs with junk. Putting that aside, I have a couple more suggestions:

• Maximum of two hashtags per project.

• Requirements should be different for each tab.

• When reporting a project there should be a choice for spam.

• A CLEAR openly accessible set of RULES and GUIDELINES should be implemented ON THE APP. This would be accessible at all times throughout a button and would need to be agreed to, to publish projects.

That’s all I have to say for now, I hope that you guys can take this into consideration at THT so that hopscotch can be improved to a more code related app for young programmers.

@Yuanyuan

8 Likes

this is something i agree with. there are no rules or guidelines that outline what a project should at least look like. with this, a person can derive more useful projects to contribute to the community.

6 Likes

yeah, that’s what I agree with too

I make good projects in 1-3 objects

4 Likes

Non art/music projects

3 Likes

the propulse of my alt Eureka! is to create game which strictly contains only one object, that so won’t work with everyone. I agree with pandyy

4 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think there should be any enforced requirements on how “good” a project should be. Not every project should have to be forced to have x amount of objects, y blocks of code, etc. For example, what if I wanted to demonstrate a new feature or snippet of code I’ve made? I think that’s worthy to be published on the platform, even if it isn’t a very large project. Therefore, I think we should focus more energy into brainstorming how to promote good projects and cultivate the user’s growth as a coder instead of restricting said growth, by letting them create projects of all levels, as not everyone is a veteran or even an experienced coder. Even the smallest step is the beginning of a greater adventure.

Please reply if there is something you would like to add. (Private Poll)
  • I agree with some of the points you have made
  • I have constructive criticism of something to add
  • I disagree with some of the points you have made

0 voters

8 Likes

I do think it would be helpful to restrict the number of hashtag channels that a project could be added to.

Sometimes people like to code everything in one object by cloning it a bunch, and having the clones do all the work.

8 Likes

I agree. I quite liked the category selector of some amount of updates ago, and seeing it return would be nice, and we wouldn’t have to put tags in the title.

5 Likes

I understand that you want to support the growth of users but what I’m suggesting does not limit the growth of users as much as it supports them, because when the tabs aren’t cluttered with spammy projects, then users who actually put in effort’s projects can be seen instead of having to be spotted like a needle in a haystack. I want help users that create projects that are code focused and restrict projects that are non code related, because this is a coding app, not Snapchat…

2 Likes

What if projects made under a certain time would only go in a certain category, like “quick projects: small projects made for announcements and colabs”

5 Likes

That’s an interesting proposition! Having projects that have had less than x amount of time spent in the editor be put into a different category would be something. It wouldn’t filter out all content, but perhaps it could help separate projects people have made from the more random conversations people may be having on the app.
constructive criticism on this idea, anyone? A few more suggestions to see what people think of this idea may be nice.

5 Likes

There could be a one hashtag limit so people aren’t over using hashtags.

Maybe people could vote if a project didn’t have anything to do with the hashtag it was under, although that would risk people taking down projects for no reason. It just depends on the ratio of honest people to the people who would take down a project for no reason. There could also be a notification that tells you the reason why it was taken down and what hashtag you could use instead?

6 Likes

I definitely agree that there should be a limit on hashtags, there used to be a system where you could choose a category that a project would go in, and you could only choose one, which i rather liked.

There could be a “Project doesn’t match channel” option in the report menu, however I could definitely see people false reporting, so perhaps a better option would be “I think this project belongs in ____ category,” and you choose which one you think it belongs to.
Building on that, perhaps a voting system for users where they can recommend projects for, say Excellent or Masterpieces from a menu in the app? You could keep it private to the public to prevent controversy if people disagree, and it may give the curators or tht a little more to go off of when curating projects.

7 Likes

I think that would be cool, because I’m not sure how they currently curate projects in “excellent” or “masterpieces”

2 Likes

Voting for masterpiece or excellent could cost like 1 seed to prevent people from voting for no reason

1 Like

As of right now you can nominate projects here and copy and paste this poll in to nominate one of your own projects or someone else’s project you found cool. :]

An alternative to this so users without seeds can vote, would be to have a certain amount of projects you can vote for each day, that way there’s a limit and users are more inclined to vote for projects they’d like to see in those categories the most.

4 Likes

That would be great, maybe more ways to filter projects by choice such as number of objects, lines of code, scenes.

3 Likes