The Numberphile Topic -- Official Nerdy Math Topic

math
jonnygamer
its_math_time
its_really_math_time

Welcome to the Official Numberphile Topic!

Quick Note

Aaand.. We’re back!

After the Xse/Hnu situation, I’m finally ready to do Take 3 on the Numberphile Topic :ok_hand: Let’s do this

I’ll be editing this post quite a bit, so constantly check up!

Also, if you want to be alerted to awesome math videos/ideas/games/puzzles, join the @TheJonnyGamers tag group.

Post Under Construction
Math Puzzles/Games!

Game 1

This Puzzle is called: The Four 4’s
In this puzzles you try to create numbers using four 4’s, and mathematical expressions.
For Example:
1 = (4 + 4)/(4 + 4)

How many numbers can you get?
Allowed mathematical symbols:
Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division, Exponentiation, Square Roots/Radicals, Adding Numbers in the Index of Radicals, Factorials, Inversing (Power of -1)

Math Symbols to use if you need some help:
Percents, Concatenation, Primorials, Square root directly on a square root (I don’t want multiple of these, since it’d be like a fourth root.)

How far can you go? My record is something like 150. I’ll double check and also post the solutions.

Awesome Forum Math Problems

This post is on Global Edit. If you’ve got an awesome math problem, type it up in here! Just in case, also post it below because it may accidentally not save or get removed. Thanks!

The Poisoned Drink Riddle - MR.GAM3R

The Praying Mantis Problem - JonnyGamer

A Praying Mantis is located on a graph at (0,0)

The Praying Mantis can move (x + 1, y), (x, y + 1), and (x + 1, y + 1)

How many different paths can the mantis take to reach the point (7, 7)?

Sweet Math Resources

This post is on Global Edit. If you’ve got an awesome math book, math website, or anything math related that can be used to learn, type it up here! I’ll be cleaning it up and organizing it, so don’t worry about it. Just add some resources in! It is real tough to find awesome ways to learn math on the web or elsewhere, so please help the community by posting some ideas! Thanks!

You can also visit this topic.

Math YouTube Channels

Numberphile

Hey, that’s right, I was inspired by this YouTube channel to create this topic :joy:. Watch all the videos on this channel for some awesome Recreational Mathematics! (That’s the fun kind :smile:)

3Blue1Brown

This YouTube channel is a step beyond Numberphile. It has more HighSchool/College level topics for serious mathematics.

Minute Physics

A fun physics YouTube channel! I really recommend this if you are into Quantum Science and the like (If you are uncertain about Quantum Mechanics :joy: you’ll definetely love this channel.

Kurzgesagt

Yet another physics channel, but at top notch precision. The graphics are amazing and so are the topics. I absolutely love this channel.

Math Reads

Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimesnion

This book is made by Matt Parker, a YouTube who is featured on Numberphile (ahem Parker Square :joy:). It is focused on Recreational Math, and talks a lot about hyperdimensional math. It is worth the buy!

What if?

Scientific answers to wacky questions! I love reading through these, as they are extremely entertaining. Do check them out! It’s free, which is the best part!

Extra Math Links 👌

Proof Wiki

A wiki just about mathematics!

Table of triginometric ratios

A table of the trigonometric ratios.

Epic Math Games and Puzzles

This post is put on Global Edit. If you’ve got an awesome math game or puzzle you’d like to share, this is the place to put it!

The Four 4's

This Puzzle is called: The Four 4’s
In this game you try to create numbers using four 4’s, >and mathematical expressions.

For Example:
1 = (4 + 4)/(4 + 4)

How many numbers can you get?
Allowed mathematical symbols:
Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division, Exponentiation, Square Roots/Radicals, Adding Numbers in the Index of Radicals, Factorials, Inversing (Power of -1)

You may also do .4 which is (4/10)
and .4 repeating (4/9)

Math Symbols to use if you need some help:
Percents, Concatenation, Primorials, Square root directly on a square root (I don’t want multiple of these, since it’d be like a fourth root.)

How far can you go? My record is something like 150. I’ll double check and also post the solutions.

Miscellaneous

This post is put on Global Edit. This is the miscellaneous section, where you can post anything math related here that doesn’t seem to fit in the groups above. However, it is just as important! You can talk about felxagons, higher dimensional math, interesting math facts, or how many bananas are in a bunch. Keep it coolio! :ok_hand:

How to Make a Flexagon

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VIVIegSt81k

Hogging this post

Four Fours:

1= (4+4)/(4+4)
2= 4/4+4/4
3= (4+4+4)/4
4= 4²-4-4-4
5= 4/4+ [Square Root Of(4x4]

I did it to 5 pretty easily.

How many numbers am I supposed to do? (I could sit here all day lol)

As many as you’d like! I’ve done at least 150 of them in a row, and some belying that. I’ll be posting the solutions shortly or elsewhere. It’s really addicting

Yeah, I can imagine.

It’s annoying without pen and paper tho

Yeah, that’s true. I did a lot on paper, but I also copied them onto an app called notability and made it nice and neat to read

But yeah, if you do have the chance to get some Paper, do the problems. It’s really quite a lot of fun, and good to do when you’re bored (at school :joy:)

Woah. . . This random but I’ve been thinking is there a pattern when you ‘ask discobot roll d’

do you want to find a square root?
Then use Phoenix Wright’s eyebrows NOW!!!

I think there’s a discobot general?

Or there should be?

Gobli talks to discobot a lot on her general

You can also use your general topic as well

Those are some serious eyebrows :joy: Oh boy

Right? Like i Can make a division on them lol

A new Numberphile topic! Cool!

Thanks! Happy that you like it! :smile:
Hopefully it’ll be more user friendly and won’t be trashed by a bully

I hope so too.

When you realize that most people who like math have gone or are not active :frowning:

Alrighty, I’ll be editing the posts above :ok_hand:

@sophia71205
Oops! We edited at the same time and I think your addition got deleted :/

Would you mind re-editing it? Thanks a bunch, sorry