The Hopscotch Tips

clickthisnow
help
new
whatisthis
howtos

This is a place for us to post tips about Hopscotch to help you. Here's one tip link:

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/xow3novze

It shows you how to get a link for your project to paste in a text browser. Actually, this tutorial project—I used that technique for the link!

Please paste some links below. Please reply with tutorials and tips.

Some ways to be a good leader (yes I know there are topics about this, just some extra ones that are important):
Don't whine about not being a leader
I don't want to point fingers at anyone, but this is important. Leaders are supposed to help out everyone, not have the freedom to do awesome admin things. No one wants people closing topics "for fun" or editing posts "for fun." The leader rank was made specifically for people that are highly trusted and responsible, and bribing won't get you around that.
Don't say "Please flag this post"
That may sound reasonable, but it just sounds like an attempt to demote someone if they are a Regular or an attempt to shame someone. Even if it is for a good cause, try saying "That's kind of rude. Could you edit it so it will be nicer?" It's less offensive and makes you seem principled, because no one wants a mean Leader who keeps insulting people.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You do have potential! And that was only an example, I know you don't want to close topics for fun.

Yeah, like don't go around whining:

*"I want to be a Leader! I really want to be a Leader! I want to be a leader!"

That won't get you any closer, and it lowers your chances of getting to be a Leader.

I agree but remember, let's not point fingers at anyone. Everyone has a chance, but some do things that lower chances, that doesn't mean they can't still become a leader, people change.

Be helpfull and respect the community!
Don't beg for anything!
Don't spam
Be nice
Use kind words
If people are mean just flag and ignore or email the hopscotch team!
Use the winky emoji a lot!:wink: (That's silly)
And I just learend this don't use like lol because some people don't understand!
And use exclamation points a lot!(that's silly also!)

Good tips! @Huggingfluffybear

Thank you! I hope those tips help a lot of people!

I'm sure they will help new and older hopscotchers:wink:

Thank you I was not sure!

That's true. If you keep saying "I want to be leader", people will think you just want power. It's not helpful, and very annoying

Yeah, don't use abbreviations like btw ( by the way ), lol ( laughing out loud ), brb ( be right back ), etc. And use proper spelling and punctuation, like don't do u ( you ), or plz ( please ), srsly ( seriously ).

I thought lol was laugh out loud. Whatever:blush:

Oh, maybe, googling it.

It's "laughing out loud".

That's what I got too, let's get back on topic but good tip by the way

I know that you are trying to say don't be mad if you don't become a leader but that is a bit hurtful...

Here are some more tips about how to act on the forum ( especially if your working toward leader )

•Speak properly
The Hopscotch Team is probably looking for Hopscotchers that can spell properly.
Spelling errors can lead to miscommunication which can lead to flagging, anger, ect.

•Be Stable
I'm not saying you have to be crazy serious.
I'm saying when something is going too far or is innapropriate you won't continue to fool around. Leaders know when to stop fooling around and when a little of it wouldn't hurt. :slightly_smiling:

•Be Reasonable
When your a leader you'll have the power to close and open topics.
You'll have to think about if this topic needs to be closed and if it doesn't.
You'll also need to think about if you should reopen this topic. The people chatting may continue to do what they're doing (being mean, talking innapropriately, ect.)

•Read
This goes for your posts and the posts of others. Sometimes your fingers will type away.
Re-read what you post to keep the community safe and fun :smile: . Sometimes you post away without realizing what your doing.
After re-reading, ask yourself is this understandable? Will this help improve the community? Is this on topic? What would I sound like and how would this affect others in real life?
Read carefully the post of others. If you feel you need to write a negative comment try re-reading the post your replying to. Who knows! You may have understood the post incorrectly!

•Be Positive
When your positive it makes people feel good! Kind people are the exact kind of people The Hopscotch Team are looking for to promote!
When giving feedback try starting with the positive stuff first. It makes people feel good about what they've made and it makes they want to continue on it. Before giving feedback try saying "I love the colours you chose!" or "I think it's really cool how you did that!".

•Don't Share Personal Information
This is very important.
If your using an email for hopscotch make sure the email doesn't have any personal information in it!
If someone finds out enough about you bad things could happen!
Some people in hopscotch know other people in hopscotch in real life. Don't call that person by their name or even their nickname! Some people are good guessers!

•Be Helpful
Give as much feedback as you can! As I said from my Positivity pharagraph make sure you start with a positive comment!
Share your knowledge of coding and try to add screen shots. Screen shots will make it easier to understand.
All human's make mistakes. If someone has simply gone off topic or creates a topic that has already been made just give them a small reminder and if they made a topic that was already created add the link to the other topic.

•Patience
There are so many kind hopscotchers out there I bet The Hopscotch Team is only waiting for some of you guys to become a regular!
The kindest may get leader last! If you have enough confidence and want to help make the forum even better just remember to be helpful and kind! You don't get the leader rank in a day! And if you don't. Continue to be kind. Because it's worth it.