The Gift of Encouragement

Guess what...

Some funny background for this post.

My birthday happens to be an approaching day on which many people (but not all) like to give gifts to one another, often first wrapping them in colorful paper and placing them beneath a tree... inside of their homes. What a strange custom this might seem to a visitor from another planet! Even stranger, when I was a newborn, the nurses put a funny, red hat on me, stuffed me partly into an oversized, red stocking and took a humiliating picture. Ha!

Perhaps you have heard of Isaac Newton? He had the exact same birthday as I do, though probably a very different experience on the first day of his life. He was born premature and weak. He was not expected to live. He did. We got Newtonian physics and some powerful math. Yay!

Having a birthday overshadowed by a major holiday every year of my life has taught me a lesson. Giving and expressing gratitude to others are very important in order for each of us to grow up and to become more advanced. As I passed from one year to another, watching people celebrate all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons, I was reminded of this.

Let me tell you what I have seen: There is a very special gift that you have for others whose giving will help you to become happier, more confident, smarter and more powerful. It is unique to you. Paradoxically, if you keep it to yourself, it becomes worthless. It may even cause you harm. But when you give it, it acquires and carries great value to those who receive it, and it ultimately returns even more of the same to you! That is the gift of encouragement and of expressed gratitude! Of course, it has other names.

Don't believe me? Try it!

I ask you to share the names of Hopscotchers or of members of the Hopscotch Team or even just the names of coded projects that have taught you the most and that have inspired you to try new things in Hopscotch.

My first code experiences.

I cannot forget the professor who first and patiently took interest in me to teach me about programming at a university when I was 12. I had so many questions! So many silly ideas. I think he liked it. His example and its influence on me are some of the reasons that I have tried to share the things that I have here about coding or about math or physics. I'm probably not as effective at it as he was, but I try.

I have my experiences, and you have yours. In general, I want to know what's working. Are we learning from watching the HT's nice videos? I have. Are we learning the most from examining one-another's code? I have. Are we learning the most from collaborations? I haven't done any of those yet. Are we learning the most from discussions on the forum? I think I have learned some things that way. Are we learning from other places? Maybe we learn the most from just "trying stuff"! That's a big one for me! Which of these are working the best?

What I'm not asking.

I am not posing a question about whose code was "coolest" or whose code got the most "plays" or "likes" or anything at all like that. Nor am I posing a question about religion or its customs. I don't want those things discussed here. Please do that somewhere else, if you wish. I am asking about who or what has actually helped you the most to set your imagination free and to do the things that you want to do as a Hopscotch coder. You're smart people. That's the focus.

As this is my thread, I don't want any unkindness in it. Please offer your highest thoughts. Give others your special encouragement to keep contributing in their own awesome ways.

Uber-impressive work by t1_hopscotch: It's "2048"!
Uber-impressive work by t1_hopscotch: It's "2048"!

b ullies for giving me depression. sarcasm.

@hopscotch_king, I would like to encourage you to get a nice idea and, if you don't know everything yet that you need in order to code it, to find friends who can help you learn it and have some fun. I am sure that, when you are kind and respectful to them, they will be kind and respectful to you. I would also encourage you that you can edit your posts any time you like to add positive thoughts. As far as other people - those "b ullies" you mentioned - are concerned, my mom always says, "They can't eat you." :sunglasses:

If someone makes fun of you, just take it at all! If they think they're cool, then say this. "Well if you think your so cool, then why aren't you on the sun warming up to see who you are really." - Words of Wisdom from Phase Admin®

If they are those bad kids because they are really sad, then say this.
"Deep down inside, their is a spark waiting to be lightned up when you are happy, even you bully, that doesn't mean that you don't have any light in you. Lighten up, then people will like you and want you as a good, trusting friend." - Words of Wisdom from Phase Admin®

If that person is just a no good person, just say this. "Whatever you can do, make me feel bad with your words, hurt me, that doesn't mean that you can go around hurting people internal and external. Everyone has a good side, even those some what dimwits." - Words of Wisdom from Phase Admin®

I Hope I am helping you out, if you do actually do get bullied. And the others reading this, if you get bullied, say these things, they see how much they have been doing bad and most likely lighten up and help others instead of bullyin·g. If this doesn't work, then just go up to an adult and tell them that the stuff that is happening to you, and they will fix it for you. This is what Trap and Dubstep music makes me do, type fast and think wisely fast.

When I first started Hopscotching, Funky 63 Greenland (there weren't username copies back then) was one of the most advanced Hopscotchers. He had a lot of new ideas that had never been thought of.

I have found the Hopscotch Team videos to be helpful when learning a specific kind of thing you want to make, like scrolling. Going through project code also helps me to understand how projects work sometimes, because sometimes the code can be so complicated only the creator knows how it works. I have not found collabs to be very helpful yet. The only thing I have learned so far from 3 collabs was how to scroll. But then my scrolling project got deleted so that didn't work out.

I learn from trying stuff too! Especially if I have an idea in mind, I am good at figuring out how the code is supposed to go to make it work. Sorry for the super-long reply.

The Cool Design Maker by TheWeirdFreewPop
It told me that anything was possible.

I remember when we first started doing Hopscotch in my tech class that I thought it would be coding for little kids, and that I would be bored out of my mind. And when we first started, I was. We were only doing stuff like "Move Bear to the right!". It infuriated me.
But then, once we had the basics down, we did the tutorial "Food fight". But, instead of the monotonous system of "follow the instructions to get a result"1 a large majority of our points were for adding something different, our own stroke of creativity. She showed us some of her own food fight projects and their code, and it inspired me.
So, I made a food fight AI in Hopscotch.
And while making it, it taught me something. It taught me the true beauty of Hopscotch. It taught me that the fact that the programming isn't text based and the characters are cartoonish doesn't limit me. Those things make it easily accessible for younger kids and beginners to learn, but the possibilities of Hopscotch are endless, and just the same as they are in any other programming language.
And that is when I fell in love with Hopscotch. So shoutout to Mrs. Martin, the best tech teacher ever (Can't remember her name on Hopscotch, sorry)

As for members of the Hopscotch team, @liza and @asha did a google hangout with me. It was so fun, and we just talked about Hopscotch and what I'm doing outside of Hopscotch, and it made me realize how awesome the Hopscotch Team is. You have an app with millions of users yet you take the time to discuss and chat with one single member.
And recently I asked a question on a programming Q and A site called StackOverflow and got it answered by Samantha John, Co Founder of Hopscotch. That was really awesome and brought me back to Hopscotch.

But definitely what has helped me out and inspired me the most is my talks with @oio. Our talks on dimensions might have actually changed my career path. But specific to Hopscotch he has shown me that there is always a way around a problem, and he has shown me, and I know this sounds cliche, the power of imagination. What limits you in Hopscotch is not the code, it is what you can think of. If you can imagine it, you can make it.
And that is an amazing gift. Thank you.

@BuildASnowman, as ever, you have perfectly comprehended and responded to the intent of this topic. I like your story and your telling of it a lot. I would not be shocked to discover that there are hundreds or thousands like it here. Inspiring. Thanks.

Awesome! And my question to you, @KathrynJaneway is, do you believe it? I do! :sunglasses:

I enjoyed reading your response, @DragonLover975. Perhaps in another thread, it could be very helpful to get your ideas about what some of the remaining obstacles are and what it could take to get collaborations to overcome these to serve to their full potential. I generally share your impressions on the other topics.

Yep! Just given enough time and being in the correct alternate universe. :grinning:

@KathrynJaneway, you said something just now about being in the "correct alternate universe." I would like to ask you what you were thinking or doing, just before you chose that expression.

I like your music projects. In fact, I just thought of something that might be compatible with the way you have done those. There is a very sweet little tune in the movie "AI" that would probably work with that. I may give that a try.

I believe that in an alternate universe somewhere, anything can happen. All possibilities can happen. So, in some universes, not everything is possible.

These are my words of wisdom!

It's not very good but...