The following tab: the biggest issue with Hopscotch

Ok I’m just going to say to see my opinion go and read my posts I’ve think I’ve made three in three diff topics lol :sob::joy:

5 Likes

Ok I just wanted to give a response because honestly the rest of the topic seems to just be repeating the same thing no offense, I’m currently a curator and we stopped project of the week due to it getting no views since it was super hidden and we couldn’t notify people so really it has no purpose

Then I suggested project of the month and imo that’s been going pretty well so far as it really gets the community involved and talking about games

7 Likes

yea i think thats mostly because there arent really many active coders on hopscotch anymore, so there’s less interest in games

and by less i mean basically none lol

7 Likes

nuhuh - we were getting i think 1k view in only one week with an in-app notif. but theres no point to continue potw if we got refused to use that feature again

7 Likes

Including me and some beginner coders, now the newest tab is trashed with arts that arent even games or venting or messages. At least someone still makes games cause the latest “game” on the tab was an actual full game. It’s all 80% art. Now only people like musicalmango etc. and cutelittlekitty just like whatevers on the newest tab no matter how bad it is.
There are still some kids who code but they’re mostly using built-in blocks or are making beginner projects.
Yeah, I get there’s still games that aren’t art but they’re just remixes, built in blocks or beginner games. We don’t have any quality games and it’s rare to find one, only we get quality games on rising or above

6 Likes

Not everyone is going to make a quality game… A lot of the people that code are beginners. And even then, let’s face it, some of us aren’t the best at coding nice quality games, rather art pads or music or trail art. People stick to what they’re good at.
You don’t have to call out actual users though for not coding.

1 Like

personally i agree with reb, you do have a good point that not everyone’s good at coding, but that doesnt justify not coding at all on a coding app. if you follow hopscotch’s tutorials or you learn from other coders, its way easier to code a quality game. what im trying to say is that anybody can code a quality game if they try.

imo, music and trail arts aren’t a problem, but remixing an artpad just to draw something is far from the original point of hopscotch.

5 Likes

Okay but what if you personally coded that art pad and now you’re using the code?
It’s better than those people remixing other users nice games and passing it off as their own or the users who only remix things.

3 Likes

if you’re using it for drawing something thats not related to coding, im not sure. but if you didnt draw on it, and updated it to a high level, i think thats fine.

4 Likes

I do think though that Hopscotch is primarily a coding app though, and there are plenty of apps where you can draw (with better tools too) and share with a community. I have no problem with art, but I do find it to be against Hopscotch’s purpose to just do art. As long as from time to time the user posts a coded project, then a project showing off your artistic skills is no problem.

Idk, sorry, the point was not to “call out” people who don’t code. The point was to put more value on coded projects than is currently on Hs

Also everyone has been at the beginner point, this would imo push people to push themselves pas that point. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not having curate-able games, but since people presumably download Hopscotch to learn to code, I think it would be nice to help the process a bit

5 Likes

Okay but the point of coding is to have the finished result used (or seen/heard) and an art pad is code and people want to show what they made by using it. I mean, if there’s a remix button there, we’ll use it.

3 Likes

Okay and I do OCCASIONALLY NOT THAT OFTEN I KNOW post new art pads or new like randomizers. I just made a character generator recently. I’m currently working on an art pad thingy right now.

Also, I meant when Reb called out CuteLittleKitty or MusicalMango.

Edit: Okay rereading that I’m wondering what Reb meant because I’m 99% sure I read the post wrong

3 Likes

what no

the point of hopscotch coding is to teach kids the basics so they can learn and grow…

yea but when you make an artpad, sure its code. i’ve heard people say those exact words over and over and i told them the same thing. but when its misused over and over again, you cant excuse that by saying an artpad is code. because by making an artpad, you either want to make something creative that you will keep on updating, or you want people to draw on it. and like fundardo said, art that isn’t coded isn’t the primary point of hopscotch.

i think they meant that they basically like all the newest tab posts, but im not entirely sure

5 Likes

Alright. I see your point.
As a person of the art community, it’s not very easy for me to agree without being a hypocrite. So I just won’t fight I guess.

I have a question though- why is there a remix tab in the first place? So people can show what they did using someone’s code (or their own), correct?

4 Likes

It’s so that you can keep track of the remixes of your projects.
(It only shows the remixes of your projects)

5 Likes

Oops I meant the remix button on projects rip my accurate wording

3 Likes

because there are people who steals other’s projects and claim its theirs

5 Likes

even though it clearly shows that they remixed it

4 Likes

Exactly what I’m saying is why is there the option to remix in the first place

3 Likes

Except the times when Hopscotch lags and the remix tag on the project disappears

4 Likes