The duplicate button

A feature I’d like to see in Hopscotch is: a duplicate button

I’d use it for this type of project: any projects

Here are some examples of Hopscotch code that could be improved if we had this: a lot more faster duplicate.

The button would be next to undo/redo buttons, and if you have it enabled, every blocks/container that you drag will automatically be duplicated. This is easy to implement and a lot more convenient for all of us (we have to click on a block, click another time, click copy, click somewhere else, click another time, and click paste. this is not convenient at all)

Here is an example design I’ve made:

(Duplicate button is next to undo/redo buttons)

15 Likes

We need this.
We need this.
WE NEED THIS.

4 Likes

We NEED THIS PLEASE

5 Likes

awesome idea! you can copy and paste containers or blocks by double tapping them, but copy and pasting multiple blocks would definitely be nice.

3 Likes

yep this will be so much faster than copy & pasting

2 Likes

We NEED this! Also, sometimes it glitches and you have to reposition the code to actually be able to paste it!

5 Likes

It’s definitely a lot of steps just to duplicate a container right now!

That’s an interesting implementation idea, with the button in the top right, to enable duplicating mode while you drag.

I wonder if we could also add ‘Duplicate’ to the ‘Cut | Copy | Paste’ menu. That would at least shorten the steps from:

to this:

click on a block, click another time, click duplicate

It would be available for blocks and containers, and insert the duplicate underneath.

Though it wouldn’t let you duplicate easily with multiple at once. So I wonder if that could be implemented if we have selection of multiple blocks in the app (to cut, copy, duplicate)

5 Likes

If the reason for adding the “duplicate” feature is the fact that copy and paste is too slow, it might also be worth thinking about how to make that faster instead of using a new feature to fill that gap.

While I’m on board with having such a feature, I don’t think it adds that much over what’s currently there, especially if I have to tap to open the menu like suggested in the post above.

I wonder if it’s possible that when you tap a block in the viewport, it won’t scroll at all – then that would make something like copy paste much faster, where you could in theory tap a block, three finger copy, and three finger paste. I find that faster than dealing with the menu, but even that doesn’t work properly right now.

I don’t really have a strong preference for any of these methods (no change, duplicate, faster copy paste), but I agree with you in that there is room for improvement with this system.

7 Likes

It will also improve ease of access for new members

3 Likes

That would be possible — after tapping on a block, the behaviour is that it will scroll to the currently selected block to make it fully visible on screen. I see how that makes it slower to get the “Cut | Copy | Paste” menu to appear though.

4 Likes

I think it was better before the undo/redo came out…
You can just double tap on a block and then you can choose to copy/paste

Though for now it’s harder

4 Likes