The Changes of Hopscotch

community
tagica

There is no doubt about it: Hopscotch has changed. Over the years, the platform has been modified to accommodate more users with different interests, and has grown into much more than a place to create code.

Now, hopscotch is not just for code, but also to express creativity. Although it is primarily meant for code, users can share their creativity through literature (RPs), art (trail art/drawings) and many other ways. However, putting all of this into perspective, change can be both positive and negative.

I have been hopscotching since 2014, so I have been here to see all of the changes Hopscotch has been through. I will share 3 positive points and 3 negative points. At the end of the topic, I will have a poll: please share your thoughts on the poll. I would also love to see any additional comments in the reply section! :slightly_smiling_face:

The Positives

People on the app have grown a closer bond. I know that. We all have the forum to fall back on for support, and virtual friends and communicators. I don’t know many people who enjoy or understand code or programming, but I can always count on my fellow forumers for that.

The visual aspect of the app has gotten a lot better to. I remember the 2014 version of the app looked extremely traditional and basic. Now, I can see that the whole look of the app has modernized and looks very finished and sleek now. The visual changes also help for better coding and effectiveness.

There has been so many changes to the actual editor on Hopscotch. There have been additions to accommodate more blocks, and subtractions to take out the insufficient ones. I think a year or two ago, shapes and more icons were added to make for more creative freedom. A few blocks and categories in the editor have been changed or joined together for a cleaner look.

The Negatives

Hopscotch is accommodating a lot of people with different interests. A lot of the times, I find those people almost at war with one another. All of the 100% code people are really angry at the artists, and vice-versa. Hopscotch sort of promoted that, by creating just-for-art categories. Both art and code are equally as important on Hopscotch, and over the years I feel that it has just gotten worse.

A lot of people argue that all of the “good” hopscotchers have left. I am not saying they are not good, they are. But the community of hopscotch has failed to realize the concept of age. People grow up, grow out of interests, grow out of hobbies, and more. You can’t except a 8 year old coder on Hopscotch to still be on Hopscotch when they are 45. Hopscotch has only been promoting this. I can tell project quality has gone down since these people left, and Hopscotch should try and fix this by having MORE official contests other then HHC18, and more official clubs.

I think a lot of people have very differing issues about the “for cost” packages on Hopscotch. It is understandable that it is needed for THT to make money, but does it unmotivate users that are using the free package? The premium package has a lot of unique and interesting characters, features, and tutorials that satisfy all skill levels. But the free package is sometimes left in the dust, with only like 2 tutorials and the very basic blocks and features. I am not saying that there shouldn’t be a premium package, but I think BOTH packages should steadily increase at their own paces, rather then one getting better and the other not improving.

I hope all of my responses made sense. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about my responses. The reason the Negatives were a lot longer is because I also mentioned ways for this to be fixed.

Please read all of the responses and information above before filling this poll out! Thanks!

• I think that the changes on Hopscotch have been for the better. (POSITIVE)
  • I think that the changes on Hopscotch have been for the worse. (NEGATIVE)

0 voters

my tag list

@background_inc
@Xman0417
@PartTimeFemale
@ExistenceExistsToday
@William04GamerA
@Paige1212
@Got_This_Glow
@eIameFemiTtraP
@DogWithAPen
@HopscotchRemixer
@Sugarisyummy
@Stal98
@ArtisticCoder
@WynterDiamond
@MK0825
@smurfy0000000
@tankt2016
@TheCMStudios
@Amulet_10
@GalaxyCoding
@Hopscotcher

@omtl

I am sorry if anyone got double-tagged. Also, I am sorry if anyone got tagged that did not want to.

Let me know if you would like to join my tag list.

Thanks for reading!

Can I join your tag list?

Of course!!! :smile:

Well written. The changes on Hopscotch have made it better and worse, though.

@aariv see this! Rp’s are only literature!

And yes, the positives have been great, but the negatives, yes, MagmaPOP 100% did leave and after comparing the games of a while ago that had a lot of effort mostly put into them to the “does anyone want to roleplay?” projects, yes, project quality has decreased a bit. I’m neutral on the art-coder conflict. I don’t mind ALL the art, and I don’t mind ALL the coders. Hopscotch is at a bit of a low right now. That’s all that I can say.

You should ask The Hopscotch Reviews team about having news about this topic! It’s really great!

I can tell them! I am apart of that! I like this topic.

This is a great news story! I have added it to our website if you want to check it out!
https://sites.google.com/view/thehopscotchreviewswebsite/news?authuser=1

Except me. You can expect me to be on Hopscotch for that extreme amount of time.

Also, the thing I am super mad about with the premium subscription is that new Hopscotch members are only allowed to publish three projects, and then they have to pay.

That is super well written, awesome job! :clap:

Only a few. Most don’t have that. And it’s 15 now.

Are you sure? I joined like a week ago and have no limit.

Well, I created a new account for my brothers recently and it has the project limit. (Because of this, I set them up on a account we created to share Hopscotch on my iPad that didn’t work out)

Just crate another account. Only a very few get the limit of 15 drafts.

@Petrichor please see this!

I actually did not know that. As a community, we love having new people join that are excited about learning new things. That decreases the amount of people joining.

That’s exactly what I told them! Except, I phrased it different and added a few extra points about how bad that idea is.

This pattern is no different than any other social platform. It has a start, a peak, and a downfall.

At the very beginning, early members were hard-working, diligent competitors with equally excellent components, or at least they are remembered this way. Because of the lack of population of early Hopscotch, there were few projects selected as well-made, thus fame was difficult to gain. The programming appeared more like a funny set of Lego with a manual smeared with ink. The “good old coders” known by us today were one who cleansed the smearing with unease and learned the instructions.

Similar to any new app with uniqueness, its community improved and grew. A small tribe became organised, more structured and diverse. That attracted many outsiders through recommendations. We started with hype and thought the addiction would never die. 3D games came out, drawing became popular, trail art, music, roleplaying, the forum, they all popped out in a short time. Everything was still new and kept being new, the community needed that.

I wonder what if you are a developer of a project, it gets big by your effort until there is little room for more development, how would your viewers react in the future?

When at its peak, it must fall. It has to fall. This is like an act of natural law. You can’t make major updates because the old members will complain. You can’t improve for the sake out it because it does not create hype. You can’t rest and do nothing because the community will become tired and people will quit. What a horrible dilemma to face! There is no possible way to satisfy every person in the community or satisfy the community in every way. Like a zero-sum game, a benefit comes with a sacrifice.

I once was the person addicted to hopscotch and the forum, browsing before sleep, pulling all-nighters just to cater to my friends’ timezones, thinking there is no way I can ever get tired of it. In the present, I have a much smaller group of companions with different people whom I talk way less to comparing to my old friendships. The past was joyful, I had seasons in the sun with the people I liked. Something like that won’t happen again unless I Max Caulfield my way back.

I joined Hopscotch in October 2015 and the forum in April 2016, words cannot describe how much I appreciate being a part of the club. I changed and watched this place change. That really is…a lot.

Note that this is only a period of five years on a fairly small online community. Everything is too short to be written in detail, too long to summarise in choppy sentencing.

What about Funky 63? wasn’t he an adult??