The Adventures Of Squaeyron [Updates Topic]

Sure, I’ll add you.

1 Like

v0.1.0.119

• You guessed it, it’s now even more code efficient.
    • Made objects above clone index 5 get set to update instead of checking for all objects above index 5 where all were set to update. (It’s too difficult to explain)

I don’t know why, but I always seem to find areas where I can make more code efficient.

BETA VERSIONS TagList
@Spy_Guy_96
@ALBUS
@Noland
@Tabitha
@KingNomNom
@cappuccino
@RoadOcean {added recently}

Wish me luck, I’m about to do something so crazy, that even I don’t know if it’ll even work or not…

3 Likes

Here’s a little sneak peek at what I did:

The ones that are negative are tiles that have their collisions cancelled due to range. I’ll need to test this with more tiles, especially the ones that make you go fast (dash platforms), to ensure you don’t end up clipping into the ground. When you get in range, the collisions are reactivated.

The current range from the tiles to the player is 256x256 from the entire stage size, and I can make this bigger if need be.

I’m also gonna make the range as small as I can before the clipping glitches start to occur.

@Spy_Guy_96 do you think this is a decent idea? I was still able to pass my level without any issue. The numbers you see are just temporary. It’s for debugging.

4 Likes

v0.1.0.120

• I was able to get the range of 100x100 units (which means a max of 4 tiles will be solid (if normally solid) at a time)

• This makes me wonder if this will impact performance since it’s doing less collision checks per frame.
    • This was tested with the fastest method of travel. No clipping occurred.
  • I made a visual recording of the new range in action, which I’ll show in a bit on the videos by hops topic (transparent ones are ones where its collision was canceled).

2 Likes

I tested the FPS (on my old iPad), and found out that the performance really depends on how many tiles are on screen. During gameplay the FPS can go as high as 33pfs but it can also drop as low as 22.

3 Likes

That does make sense, as the project has to constantly refresh the tile positions every frame, plus a bunch of other things that can cause frame rate to drop.

Wait, which version did you test on?

Beta version v0.1.0.120 will be available in about an hour or so…

2 Likes

This project (https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/12juixsl0n) is now live.

2 Likes

v0.1.0.123 BETA is on its way.

• Tile animations now update more slowly to reduce strain on low-end devices

BETA VERSIONS TagList
@Spy_Guy_96 I tried to make the game speed adapt more like yours, but ended up abandoning it due to glitches like clipping [1] (mostly due to my Dynamic Range feature).
@ALBUS
@Noland
@Tabitha
@KingNomNom
@cappuccino
@RoadOcean

Also, have any of you played this game on anything other than mobile? Remember, it’s also compatible with keyboard (WASD / Arrow Keys to move, Space / W / Up to jump).

1. A glitch where the player goes through the walls or ground ↩︎

1 Like