The Adventures Of Squaeyron [Updates Topic]

Maybe you could make a non jump platform on top of somewhere you have to jump, so you have to jump at the edge.

2 Likes

That happens a lot with platformers. Mine is also compatible with a game controller and a computer keyboard, so you’d be able to play it on a desktop or laptop computer if you have one.

3 Likes

I got it back up to a playable FPS.

maybe you could make a platform that switches from trampoline to non jump or something?

3 Likes

I’m pretty much done with platforms. I’m mainly focusing on adding levels. Those 80 levels aren’t going to add themselves. (Why did I choose to make 80 levels?)

Maybe for my future project…

4 Likes

0.1.0.112 is on its way.

• The main game title now has a little animation to it.

@Spy_Guy_96
@ALBUS
@Noland
@Tabitha
@KingNomNom

@cappuccino (I just added you to the list. Please tag me if you don’t want to be tagged for future betas or releases).

4 Likes

I love the new update
But can you add new items like gem stones?

1 Like

Maybe for When Worlds Collide. I’m all done with features in TAOS for the most part.

2 Likes

Also because I have 77 tiles already. I don’t think I can add any more of them.

There is a crystalized gem in the Level Editor under collectibles. They are the first clear condition for the level. All must be collected before you can complete the level. Unlike coins, these reset to the amount collected before the last activated checkpoint (0 if none are active).

2 Likes

You may also get inspired by Yoshi’s Land
A kind of plat former

1 Like

I might be able to make a platformer that’s compatible with enemies and moving platforms like @/Spy Guy 96 one day, but I’ll need all the help I can get. If I knew how to use a more powerful programming tool, or even a game engine like Game Maker Studio 2, I’d be able to build platformers to their full potential. There are so many mechanics you could put in an indie platformer if you weren’t limited by the software.

2 Likes

I would like to help, but not right now since I don’t have time.

But if you tag me I will help!

2 Likes

That’s ok. I don’t have much time on my hands either. Some IRL stuff I have to deal with.

I can figure out most of it, it’s just the different collision code that I’ll need help with the most. I’ll let you know when I truly start on the project.

2 Likes

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/12jqtwwj8v

I just updated my project, will be live soon.

• Game scene now uses less set variable blocks when updating tiles.
    • This is also beneficial, since now it only takes 1 frame to update as opposed to 2 (only true in player 2.0.x, though), but it’s more code efficient, nonetheless.

@Spy_Guy_96
@ALBUS
@Noland
@Tabitha
@KingNomNom
@cappuccino

The editor scene will be updated once THT resolves a crash that would occur when trying to save a custom block (both custom rules and custom methods) on large projects.

@Yuanyuan I noticed this crashing issue also occurs on older projects (1.5.x and older).

3 Likes

The project is now live.

@Spy_Guy_96 can your old iPad still play the game despite the app on the latest version no longer being compatible, or do you have to play it on an iOS 13 compatible device? Can you play it in the web browser, at least?

If your old iPad is able to play it, what FPS do you get now? I don’t think my change has any performance benefits, but best check it anyways.

There’s essentially no change in how long it takes to update each frame, I basically just separated the properties of each tile in a bunch of rules (to set the collision type, sticky side, dynamic type, offset x, and offset y, in that order). It uses 24 set variable blocks as opposed to 171 set variable blocks. And since it only updates when moving, the performance will be the exact same while remaining still.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply

Yes, I can actually play your project, even though I am not running the latest version on my device.

I don’t have access to my iPad right now, so I can’t test the fps but I can at least open the project.

It does take a while for the project to load though, for a second I thought it wouldn’t load, luckily it just took a long time (about 15 seconds after project downloaded)

Okay that doesn’t sound long but usually it takes much less (only a few seconds), it’s probably due to the fact that the project is so big, but I don’t know.

1 Like

Yeah, it is over 3MB in size. After I reduce code much further, plus a bunch of other things to make it as code efficient as possible, I’ll be able to reduce the size greatly.

I will need to ensure that I remember to restore all Local Variables before I republish the project so I don’t have to deal with an issue where the collision and FPS counter stops working.

2 Likes

v0.1.0.116 BETA is on its way.

• The scrollbar backing is no longer invisible when going back to the Level Editor
  • The game is now more code efficient
    • Removed unnecessary properties like “CollisionType” from the editor due to them not being used anywhere else
    • Combined some (= OR =) conditionals with RegEX Matches conditionals.

CollisionType is now used only 28 times instead of over 300-400 times.

1 Like

Through the power of copy and paste, I made the editor a little more code efficient. I always test these changes to ensure nothing stops working unexpectedly.

v0.1.0.117 BETA is on its way. I almost forgot to update the project’s title to match the current version, lol…

And due to the changes I made, I can make it even more code efficient. The benefit you get is that the file size will be a bit smaller.

BETA VERSIONS TagList
@Spy_Guy_96
@ALBUS
@Noland
@Tabitha
@KingNomNom
@cappuccino

3 Likes

And I did just that. Here’s the link for when it goes live. The size is now 3.06 MB from 3.12 MB

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/12juixsl0n

1 Like

Can I be added to the tag list?