Text Width Decreased on Older Players

E-Pad draft, player version 1.2.x

I don’t know what to say. Half of my project is broken because the mex Width for text was changed (to half the stage width?). It probably broke more than this one project too, and I certainly don’t think it should be considered a “bug fix” for older versions.

Is it possible to roll back this player change for the older player versions and keep it only for the new ones?

@AwesomeOnion

I might also try and find some more projects affected by this change, but E-Pad has its whole settings app broken as well as half of the web browser.

14 Likes

Stealing first reply

• Please fix
  • It’s fine

0 voters

6 Likes

I saw this too, and I didn’t really like it

3 Likes

Yup, me too
Second non creator post lol

4 Likes

I don’t have a problem with this myself but I know that other users don’t like this bug (or an intentional change?)

6 Likes

I saw this change and I thought it would just be for the beta editor, but I just realized it wasn’t.

The max text width in this could have also been a fix for the other text wrapping bug, but that seems unlikely because all of my text would have wrapped over to the next line anyways, and it didn’t before.

@TheCMStudios it could be an intentional change actually, but it should not be put to older players. Older players should only receive the bug fixes.

Hopscotch uses semantic versioning, and it says the .x at the end should only contain patches, not new features. So, if it was meant to be a patch, then it is a bug with the patch. Otherwise, the change shouldn’t be in legacy player versions.

5 Likes

I really don’t like this

We need E-Pad, fix this

2 Likes

Oh no
Never saw this because I have no old projects

1 Like

Oh yeah, I remember than there was a fix in an update, because before that update set width and height was broken

It just didn’t make sense before

1 Like

Edit, and doesn’t make now either

1 Like

That’s why I don’t use it. The update actually broke a turning coin test I made, maybe I should fix it sometime.

2 Likes

Aah, interesting. I think it should only have gone out for 1.3.x and above. Sorry about that! I can fix.

7 Likes

Should be fixed now. Let me know if you are having any more problems.
We did decrease the text width on 1.3.x and 1.4.x as well, but we can go back if you think the fix is worse than the bug. I was trying to make the webplayer text more closely match what comes back from iOS, but I could see how this could cause problems…

Here’s the bug we were trying to fix: when you started a text object with the text: “Wake me up when September ends” and pressed play, the text would be stretched.

What do you think?

• Older projects should not get this fix, it’s better to have stretched text sometimes and make sure existing projects don’t change.
  • Older projects should get this fix. I’ve been having problems with my text objects getting stretched when I press play

0 voters

4 Likes

I don’t know, I just don’t remember a time where I ran into that stretching issue. I’d rather not have a bunch of things in existing projects mess up (like half of the text I took hours to align in E-Pad) because of a feature change though, even if it was to fix another bug.

What player versions would this be for?

2 Likes

1.3, 1.4 and 1.5

5 Likes

Yea older versions should get this. I also have this problem in my current project I’m working on as well

3 Likes

Yeah that’s fine and would certainly work, but for an extremely long time I have found the text width limitation to be pretty bothersome and have found temporary methods before that would make the limit increase (those broke later though, as I think it used a bug).

I’d rather see 1.5 and onwards allow the text to fill up the whole stage in both the editor and player instead of forcing it to wrap at a certain width to fix a bug.

But thankfully the issue on 1.2.x was fixed for my project.

6 Likes

There should be a option to change how wide text can be yourself! :thinking:

2 Likes

You can with the set width and height block

2 Likes

But that just stretches it

2 Likes