Suggestion: User Templates

There seem to be some good changes on the horizon. Z layer control, “immediate” calculations, destroy clones, stages, etc. Compliments to THT.

That said, a significant impediment to usability of the app still remains in that code can’t easily be reused between your projects.

Today everyone gets the same template (meaning the set of predefined custom rules & abilities). Users should get unique templates that would start out as the default version, but users would be able to add (or remove) custom rules/abilities that they want to be able to reuse.

Here’s an option for how that mechanism could be designed: When you long press a custom rule/ability you get a menu like this

A new option for “Add To User Template” could be added to this menu. Or If the rule/ability is already on the user template, the menu option would be “Remove From User Template”

Please :heart: and comment below if you think this would be useful and make Hopscotch a better product. THT needs to know which ideas the community really values.

@Ana

also… lists/multi-dimension arrays

22 Likes

I think this would be a great addition!
There’s a way to do this using AE’s shortcut and it’s super helpful. I’d love to see it in the actual app too

16 Likes

Sounds interesting

8 Likes

It would be so nice… Man I would use it all the time.

6 Likes

Hey @ThinBuffalo it’s super nice to hear from you!

Thanks for your kind words and suggestions. Funnily enough, we were discussing a similar feature on today’s team meeting. So who knows who knows.

By the way, pinch and zoom is coomingg…

19 Likes

Ooh
So that’s why you can zoom in the beta editor player

11 Likes

Wait what? You can do that? That’s cool.

7 Likes

Wait, I can’t zoom in or out in the beta editor

5 Likes

I’ve really missed coding on Hopscotch (I know it’s meant for kids, but it’s still a fun way to spent some down time) and I’ve missed coding with my kids. I’ve been anticipating the Z layer control, so maybe I’ll make some new or finish some old projects.

Trying to get back up to speed so, question(s). Has the beta editor replaced the TestFlight?

How do the “immediate” calculations work wrt code execution timing? Is there a discussion thread on this? Are there new blocks or does the player just handle the old blocks (presumably Set and Increase?) differently. Is this available in the 3.37.2 update for everyone or only for subscribers?

Edit: The immediate calc seem to be available to all, and seem fairly intuitive. I like this. Should help keep the number of rules down on math heavy projects & therefore increase performance.

11 Likes

Pinch the black in your most recent project (when playing the project)
@koletsgo

5 Likes

Thanks! What black?

5 Likes

Yup, I was gonna say that too

3 Likes

What is this shortcut you speak of?

5 Likes

I’ve had it for quite a while now, let me invite you to the topic

5 Likes

What?!? Amazing!

4 Likes

Interesting :clap:.

2 Likes

This sounds like it would be great addition to Hopscotch! Great suggestion TB!

3 Likes

This would be something I’d really like to see in hopscotch!

3 Likes

I have no black bars, the draft fits my whole screen

4 Likes

This sounds very interesting, I think this would be very helpful for everyone!

5 Likes