Suggestion: Quality Update for next player (1.6.0)

Intro

So, Hopscotch is a great coding platform with many great features, but I think that for some time Hopscotch has had some really annoying quirks that make things look very unprofessional, and I would like to see a quality-focused update for the next player version.

How text changes in two frames

Frame 0:
Frame 1 (when the set text block is run):
Frame 2 (same time as the next block is run):

In 1.2.x and earlier, frame 1 would be the same as frame zero but red, which was more usable, but now any sort of change in text makes the project look really unprofessional. I see Frame 1 every time and it really really bugs me that I can’t avoid that in any project without making the text disappear between changes (which isn’t always feasible either).

Note: This can be improved by having an off-stage project setting text to every text you could possibly need in the game before actually loading the text, but that doesn’t fully get rid of the issue temporarily either.

I’d really like the last image to be frame 1 instead of frame 2.

Blurry Text

I would like cleaner text for a more professional look when text is scaled up.

Stretchy Text (still occurs)

At this point, it would be more customizable to the user and easier to maintain if line breaks in text would only occur when the user inserts one manually. There are so many times where I wish the text width limit was longer (it’s so short that stretchy text is still a frequent issue).

Also, this is the biggest reason I suggest it as its own player update – so nothing gets broken by a change like this.

Some more blurry stuff

Project Link

Here is the project, in case you wanted to see it for yourself.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much better would Hopscotch function if just these issues were fixed? Personally, I think it would look a lot more professional for a coding platform.

0 voters

I know, it’s not as exciting as getting some new features, but in its current state, it feels hard developing anything with a professional feel. Even this was a struggle with two-frame text changing (stretching in between).

20 Likes

I agree :+1:t2:, it is annoying.

2 Likes

It is… I end up wasting 20 Text objects trying to make it look nice and clear—and not blurry or stretched. :weary:

3 Likes

This is an absolute must have…

4 Likes

Yep.

3 Likes

Well said @Awesome_E

I second this

4 Likes

yes
That’s what I said
yes

2 Likes

I second that

2 Likes

I second this a lot

2 Likes

Also the objects in the editor are much less blurry than in the player

2 Likes

That’s because I think the player uses a different system than the editor

2 Likes

Great idea! Hopscotch needs this

1 Like

Another nice topic - I hate when this happens lol

@Ana ping because this is a quite useful topic and you should see it :))

2 Likes

That’s in the post too

Also, I’d like to see keyboard functionality look more like this:

Instead of this:
1 Like

Some times it squishes my text. So it looks so unprofessional.

1 Like

Wow, this looks like this is more of an important issue than than I anticipated. More than half of you voted 10! (I actually voted 9)

I would really like to be able to update projects like E-Pad to the latest player, but it currently messes up all of the text in the project. In addition, it would make my platformer and other projects already on 1.5.0 an easy upgrade to the next player.

3 Likes

All great ideas! Hopscotch needs this!

1 Like

Bump

While we are here, dark mode would also be appreciated for both the app and forum (forum would be a theme, which THT should not have a problem installing considering that they customized the default one already and especially if they got rid of the dark theme that I think comes by default)

So far I’d like these in a quality-focused update

• everything in post 1
  • fix the “keyboard support”
  • dark mode
6 Likes

Great idea my eyes hurts sometimes (barely) (mostly on the forum) (that’s why 8 turn my lightness down)

2 Likes