Storytelling — through words

I will probably add more to this later.

There are lots of ways we tell stories. I know there are others who enjoy doing it through words and I love creative writing so I have lots of ideas I want to discuss and share.

Here are some resources, I guess that I feel I can’t help sharing :joy:

Ideas

• The Dictionary.com app had a feature where you could ‘star’ words and keep them in a list of favourites. I used to keep a list of words that I thought were interesting, or brought an idea for a story, for inspiration :slight_smile:

• (unfortunately the app just crashes upon opening now so I can’t do that anymore now, but I recently started this again)

• I also rediscovered a page I bookmarked for inspiration – 100 Beautiful and Ugly Words

• pictures and experiences might inspire you :slight_smile:

• there are more in the resources

Resources

###Twine
Twine is fantastic and simple to use for starting on choose-your-own adventure stories.

https://twinery.org

###NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)

Storybird Blog posts

Storybird is a writing community (which I like using, very kid-friendly and supportive and moderated) and I can’t help posting a sample of the tips/resources they have on their blog:

Aside from their blog posts, the community is something you might like to check out too — there is a gallery of art to inspire stories and all stories are moderated.

Other

I like the Grammar Girl articles for linguistics which comes into writing, and I have come across other sites such as Novel Writing Help, and like looking at Evernote templates too.

And also I think that writing is something organic :blush: You will find a lot from simple searching, but most of all probably I think from just having fun yourself.

Storytelling is vast… You may even see your own life as a story. You can definitely apply these ideas in so many places (I think it is a delight :yum:) e.g. for here on the forum, if I post character-development resources, you could use them in a game, and definitely can use plot stuff in Hopscotch! And also for when you feel like you get creative blocks.

Just a small note for this topic, I am more interested in working on developing our own original work/ideas plus stuff that is kid-friendly :relaxed: I have searched up other topics but I’m brimming with resources/ideas I wanted to discuss so this was a bit different to what I’d seen.

First reply love this !!!
Explains a lot!
I have Evernote as well we use it in school

This is a really helpful and good topic! Another of your great topics @t1_hopscotch

Bookmarked, watched. XD

:joy: I might not use this often though, but it's nice to have somewhere to post if I come across anything interesting!

I started re-collecting words again, and remembered this page:

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/100-beautiful-and-ugly-words/

This is subjective of course, but i initially kept it to spark some ideas :slight_smile: I've linked it in the top post.

Also reminded me of some words from the Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows:

again maybe just some inspiration from there

“You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone’s soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows that they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift.”
Erin Morgenstern
I found this quote the best to explain about story telling