Speaking block in Hopscotch?

talk

A feature I’d like to see in Hopscotch is:

A block that speaks.

You type text into the block, and when the block is run, a computer will read the words you typed in.
(And maybe, if the rule is in a character’s code, the character’s might could move as if they were speaking!)

What if someone typed a bad word or letters that form a bad word in the block?
Either the project would get stuck in the filter, or a message would pop up saying something like, “Oops! Your speech contains a word that isn’t allowed!”

I’d use it for this type of project:

Discobot sim, person sim, my talking cat, stuff like that where you want a narrator or character to speak.

Here are some examples of Hopscotch code that could be improved if we had this:

Projects where the character speaks.

Here is an example design I’ve made:

Now this is just a design I whipped up in 2 seconds, but it could be kinda like a text block.

I’ve seen something similar in another programming languages, it looks like this:

There’s a block like this in the app Sphero Edu (an app for coding these little round robots)

26 Likes

oh, I actually haven’t even thought of this before.
cool!

6 Likes

Another good project that could be made with this would be Siri.

10 Likes

There should also be a “voice” parameter that’s a dropdown of a few options

3 Likes

This is sometimes problematic for moderation. For example you could use “ph”, as an alternative to “f”.

3 Likes

Oh yeah.
THT could check each project with the block in it, like they do with custom images (I think).

1 Like

This would be aweosme!

2 Likes

Eh, I wouldn’t really like if this were implemented.

2 Likes

Why not? Is it just the idea of talking in Hopscotch, or is it something specific?

5 Likes

probably the fact that users might be able to type bad words

2 Likes

Because when a computer voice is added, it creates a kinda weird old stuffy feeling in the application. Like, they would have to work really really long hard hours to make the voice sound natural in any way.

3 Likes

Yep, I was thinking about that too. It would still be cool.

4 Likes

I already have that in my “Sound Library Expansion” topic

2 Likes

Man tts is hard… Just from a programmers point of view

3 Likes

Actually, no. They just need an api and a block id
API’s are like pre-written code for a specific purpose

3 Likes

Yah ig lol it would be easier forgot about that

2 Likes

Ah, Best Idea!
Lets hope this is not only for subscribed coders.
I would try to upgrade my “big” project.

4 Likes

This sounds like a very good idea! It would be a very good addition. Maybe this can be added together with the other suggested music blocks in Hopscotch, such as custom sounds?

2 Likes

Custom sounds could be a way to exploit the app tho. You cannot restrict it, as you have no idea what could be in there. Just my opinion

3 Likes

speak text, and like images at first, there still is an “in moderation” category

3 Likes