Some projects don’t have edit button

Use this template to make awesome bug reports:

Your username: PeppyWafer21

What kind of device are you using?: iPhone

1 sentence description of the problem (I was doing _________, and then __________ happened): I was trying to see the code of -Madi-‘s game and the edit button was missing.

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/11mltqd8im

Steps that the Hopscotch team can take to reproduce my problem every time:

1. Open the project above. It also happens with other projects but I cannot think of any examples.
  2. Look for the edit button
    ….

I expected this to happen:
To be able to see the code
But instead this happened:
No edit button
Here’s a sweet screenshot:

I am not sure what could be causing this.

Does this happen to you?
  • This happens to me
  • This does not happen to me

0 voters

6 Likes

It’s not a bug! All projects with the seed block are locked so that code can’t be edited.

7 Likes

Oh, that’s sad. Why is this the case?

7 Likes

Projects with the seed block are closed source, so you cannot edit them.

@Awesome_E, please clive

5 Likes

To keep people without the seed block from remixing or editing code to make the game easier for them. Seed devs have access for a reason, and others aren’t allowed in s as to keep their projects the way the developer wanted them.

5 Likes

It’s mainly so you cannot remix someone’s top games project. Even if you were able to, it will be rejected if you are not a seed developer.

Also, only the owner can edit the project that contains the seed block.

7 Likes

Oh okay. Why can they not simply turn off remixing? A lot of the seed dev projects have very interesting mechanics where I want to see how they are done.

6 Likes

Use the web explorer

6 Likes

I think it was easier for THT to just disable edit mode for non-owners of seed related projects.

9 Likes

Oh, that does work. Hopefully eventually they will find a solution where you can do it in the app too!

7 Likes

Although you can technically do this, it’s better not to. There is a reason that tht has disabled the edit button on seed dev projects. Also, many seed devs don’t want their code to be viewed/copied.

9 Likes

Yeah I definitely don’t

5 Likes

Personally @Heracc, i don’t mind if you use the web explorer 2 do that with my projects but just know it was hidden for a reason so don’t make fun of me for my poorly coded project haha

8 Likes

Ah okay

3 Likes

Actually, I disagree – even though people tend to be protective of their code, it can help others to learn what goes behind a seed project.

I think that getting rid of the edit button was just easier than creating an entire read-only mode in the app.

You know, this is another point (not sure if I stated before though), but even if you think it’s poorly coded, this may actually encourage others to code projects to this caliber of difficulty. It can help others think, “hey, maybe I don’t have to be super knowledgeable in Hopscotch to create cool projects”, which is certainly true as well!

9 Likes

There’s code in this project which I’m 90% sure does nothing relevant but I never deleted JUST in case /hj /srs

But fr, yea I get it lol. Hs is to help people learn, and people can learn from both when you do something poorly and when you do something well.

7 Likes

I see your point, and I totally agree it’s great - as long as the dev has not asked you to refrain from doing so. It can be very helpful for people to see & learn from the code & I enjoy doing it too! I just know some devs have specifically asked for their code not to be viewed, so to respect them, people shouldn’t look at their code if they were asked not to.

sorry, looking back on my last post, I did not make that very clear at all.

(@Heracc i don’t mind if you look at my code either!)

7 Likes

i don’t mind neither, but i’m not sure if ppl will understand my code bc i love using variable but i’m really really bad at choosing a name for it

7 Likes

People could edit the project and get themselves the seed products for free if they only turn of remixing. And making a read only mode would be way harder then disabling the edit function.

3 Likes

This is a really weird bug… lol

1 Like