Some general color resources

rgb
colors
hsb_colors
hsbandrgb
hsb

I have loved looking at colo(u)rs :blush: I don't know about anyone else, but here are some resources anyway :yum:

A search of 'colo(u)r converter' will return results for converters if ever you need. Here are other resources that I've come across.

These graphics pretty much sum up the color theory links in the rest of the page:

These are other links are things you can read through.

This covers basics and some associations that people might have with colo(u)r that you can use for design and branding.

This seems to cover a broader part and history of color theory if you want to browse through:

I have heard another interpretation, that colour is just something that is perceived by us.

EDIT: wait, I should have read more closely. This article was suggesting that the publishing of the following experiment was not valid...

The documentary names Serge Caparos as the experimenter, and we see him and hear him running the experiment and discussing the results. But as far as I can tell, searching for Serge Caparos Himba color again leaves us without any publication that describes the experiment we're looking for.

So either
1. The experiment was abandoned because it failed, or because serious design flaws turned up in the review process; or
2. The experiment was abandoned because the author(s) went on to other things, or couldn't write it up for personal reasons; or
3. The experiment has been published, but my search techniques were unable to find it.

Whatever the explanation, I submit that the BBC documentary (and the subsequent coverage) has given us a sensationalist interpretation of an undocumented experiment, presented as reliable science, without giving us any basis to trust that this interpretation is even close to true.

Okay, I should include that, but I will leave the ideas in it for just posing something to think about more philosophically about our perception of colour, whether this experiment is accurate or not.

So the apparent experiment was that, in a certain language (I can't remember the name of it) they use a single word for describing blue/green (I do know that there is at least another language that does this too but it wasn't mentioned for this example) but they have different words for describing similar shades of green (which, for English, would all be called green).

And apparently there was a study done where they asked speakers of that language and speakers of other English (I think) to identify a blue square amongst a ring of green squares, and a different shade-of-green square among the green square. They could not distinguish the blue circle from the other greens, but could distinguish the slightly-different green to the other greens, but for English speakers it was the opposite.

I may have reported this not completely accurately because I can't remember To fix that, I searched it up again (and wow it mentioned that blue and black/white and gold dress that I had completely forgotten about until now)

(If you were interested, I cannot distinguish the slightly-different green from the other greens :open_mouth:)

I can get carried away very easily which I already have, but if I link that, I can't not link these videos:

Okay I really like this list of colour palettes even though I haven't used it in Hopscotch yet specifically because I keep forgetting it:

I think it can be pretty handy in general :yum: although the colours use HEX (an alternative representation of RGB), but that can be converted into RGB/HSB

There is a Crayola colour list here for a range of HSB/RGB values you can use...

There is also a random 5-color palette generator:

This has some more details on the maths behind deriving HSB from RGB (i didn't have a total understanding of it but can still use it for conversions from one to another :smiley:):

Adobe Capture is a handy app for selecting and generating colour palettes from images:

Adobe Capture CC – Create Digital Assets by Adobe

Okay I think that is heaps now...

P.S. sorry about my switching of spellings everywhere :joy: (I learnt Australian English, then have been around a lot of American English spellings, so I just included both – a bit randomly which goes against being consistent :grin:. I also like looking at linguistics and grammar but after this topic here :sweat_smile:, maybe that's for another time...)

HSB/RGB color transitions

Okay if you happen to be wondering:

That's a lot :flushed:

(That is understandable :joy:) or:

Have you ever used any of these?

I have just mostly been randomly looking at these over the years, but the complementary/analogous etc colour palette resources plus Adobe Capture were what inspired me to add this:

Anyway the main thing I probably want is not for people to have an extensive list of stuff actually, it is to just keep looking at whatever it is you find yourself reading about!

(because that is how this happened :joy:)

Really cool topic, very interesting!!
Also a very cool way to test out the new catagories!
Just to let you know, I saw this topic when you first made it but could only like and not comment as I had poor internet connection. :sweat_smile:

Thanks @PumpkinGirl! :smiley:

And don't worry about not commenting or anything haha, I wasn't expecting anything! (The first comment I made was just a general one :joy: if you happened to be referring to that) but I think it is lovely of you to let me know anyway :smile:

th this hekps a lot with the project I'm making

Amazing topic! I have some cool links too:
www.rgb.to (a really cool color converter and finder)
www.imagecolorpicker.com (a place where you can get colors from any image, it is perfect if you have a cool picture and want to use the color in Hopscotch. I have used this site to get the colors from logos, Hopscotch characters and much more. It shows the colors in HSV (the same as HSB) and RGB, so you don´t need to convert the colors before typing the color value in the app.)

I like to use the first one you mentioned. I should try the second one. I also use the paper 53 method. : )

Neither can I, but the blue one is very obvious...

Also, great topic.

EDIT: I think I might have found the green one. I needed to look really closely.

Fantastic topic! This will be really helpful.
@sophia71205, you might find this helpful, since you said you aren't good with HSBs.

that is a lot

Ummmmmm uhhhhhhh
So uhhhhhh
Red is color blue is a color
Yellow is a fvhjfvhjffhjvhjdhjfhjffhj
How do you make so much topics that I don't understand?!?!

@Hermione wow okay, I'm glad :smile: (I didn't think this would be of any help to anyone :joy:)

Wow thanks for sharing these @William04GamerA! :smiley: That image colour picker sounds pretty handy, I just use Paper 53 the most when I think about it actually :joy: after you mentioned it @Kitkat26 :smiley:

That just gave me an idea, I will make the top post a wiki for anyone who happens to want to add something.

And thanks @Petrichor :smiley:, if you go on the link, the green one is actually in a separate picture (I might try pasting it here...okay there we go. I can't pick out the different one...and after it's pointed out, only a tiny bit)

EDIT: wait, I should have read more closely. This article was suggesting that the publishing of the experiment was not valid...

The documentary names Serge Caparos as the experimenter, and we see him and hear him running the experiment and discussing the results. But as far as I can tell, searching for Serge Caparos Himba color again leaves us without any publication that describes the experiment we're looking for.

So either
1. The experiment was abandoned because it failed, or because serious design flaws turned up in the review process; or
2. The experiment was abandoned because the author(s) went on to other things, or couldn't write it up for personal reasons; or
3. The experiment has been published, but my search techniques were unable to find it.

Whatever the explanation, I submit that the BBC documentary (and the subsequent coverage) has given us a sensationalist interpretation of an undocumented experiment, presented as reliable science, without giving us any basis to trust that this interpretation is even close to true.

Okay, I should include that, but I will leave the ideas in it for just posing something to think about more philosophically about our perception of colour, whether this experiment is accurate or not.

@Kitty4U yeah it is a lot, isn't it :sweat_smile::joy:
And @ValueGamesStudio aw I see this is confusing too hmm I have been keeping that in mind :smile: (this is just links from articles around the internet on one topic so don't fear...does this help...)

This is a great topic! This is great for people who are looking for a color palette for their game (often being me, me being the one that has practically no sense of which colors go together XD). ^^

Normally, for color picking, I use colorizer.org! It offers lots of switches and meters to a bunch of color slots you can set, such as HSB, RGB, HSL, etc., plus a preview of how the colors you picked look in a box on the left side of the screen. :D

You are the best!
Thanks for always helping us out!

Revive :)
This is useful for anything in Hopscotch that you want to make colorful! Some people doing the 2018 Summer Contest might find this as a good resource for themed colors in their projects and art!

Nice! Be sure when you revive other topics to tell people to bookmark them for reference.

This is a really good topic!