Solutions to View Spamming in HS

In HS, everyone who views a project adds up to the view count of the project. This includes the creator’s views. In my opinion, the creator of a project should not have the ability to add up to their own project’s view count. That means if you publish a project then view it many times, your views will not add up to the view count because you are the creator of that project. I think this is a good idea so that the creator won’t keep viewing his or her own project just to get lots of views.

This is another alternative. Instead of only the number of views being shown in a project , why not add the number of accounts who view the project? This way, you will also know how many accounts view your project if you are curious.

What do you think?

• I agree on both ideas
  • I agree on the 1st idea
  • I agree on the 2nd idea
  • I disagree on both ideas

0 voters

8 Likes

In my opinion it doesn’t really matter or make a difference, but okay.

6 Likes

How about those that view their own project many times just to get views? Isn’t it cheating?

1 Like

Well if the person has 2 likes and 2300 views, you can kinda tell what happened.

3 Likes

Some people might misinterpret it.They might actually believe that the views came from many different people when it actually came from only one(or most of the views are from the creator).

Some people probably base a project’s popularity on views. If the creator views his/her project many times, it might be deceiving.

For example, 1 project has 1000 views and another has 3000 views. The project with 1000 views is viewed by 1000 people while the project with 3000 views is viewed by 1 person only (the creator). People might think this way
“this project has 3000 views, so this is more popular than the project with 1000 views”.

1 Like

Then they play the project and realize “oh this isn’t any good, the creator must have viewed this project 2/3rds of the total views”

And they play the other project and say “this deserves more views than that other one, I’ll give them 12 views”

2 Likes

Not possible, people will just refresh the safari page and same effect will happen

2 Likes

Safari on HS?

2 Likes

It’s called a web browser. Anyone can just copy the link anyways and refresh the page, that adds views

3 Likes

How about excluding the views of those not signed in as well?

2 Likes

Then legit views won’t count from family or friends. Who cares about views anyways, and who would waste their time racking them up?

Shouldn’t this be in #hopscotch-language-evolution? They need to update category descriptions again

3 Likes

The problem is some hopscotchers view their projects many times just to get views. Which could deceive people.

2 Likes

So what, they’re only cheating on themselves. It’s not like they can get 5 likes on the same account (actually, they can but let’s not get that started – if you don’t know exactly how to do it, it cannot be repeated with over 2 likes).

3 Likes

It could be deceiving to people. Like a creator views his project 5000 times. People will think “this looks like a popular project because it has 5000 views”.

2 Likes

Ooo now that sounds like a good idea.

2 Likes

Oops, I deleted it (the undelete never works, oddly enough)
was tapping around the screen waiting for internet to load lol

The idea was one view per user every 24 hours to prevent spam. But the problem is there are many issues far large than this one. And the 24 hour rule has privacy issues and would take more storage. The other thing about these techniques is that they are often more annoying then helpful, even when it is for a good purpose

3 Likes

The 24 hour rule sounds nice.

How about this?

The first time you view a project, it will add up to the view count. If you want to add up to it again, you have to view 5 other projects first before going back to it. Viewing the project consecutively won’t add up to the view count.

2 Likes

That could work, but once again, it would need to store browsing habits, which that may run into isssues with privacy. Then again, it might be acceptable. It just has to comply with what data they say they collect

3 Likes

What data do they need to collect? Don’t they just need the data of what projects you view/play?

1 Like

Don’t really get what you mean.
Seems really unnecessary and it wouldn’t really make a difference.

4 Likes