Shoutout problem

So recently I’ve seen a lot of projects about shoutouts and sometimes whole accounts that literally just use shoutouts. This normally wouldn’t be a problem, but I think it is based on the fact that there are whole accounts just for this.

I feel like using hopscotch in this way is misuse, hopscotch is supposed to be a coding app, not a texting app. I also would like to call out that hopscotch is technically social media, but shouldn’t be used as such. This is also reflected in other problems like HS chat rooms (remixes over remixes of just text and no code).

This is also a different problem but some people remix projects and change almost nothing about it, then don’t give credit (which is plagiarism)

These are my opinions on these problems but I’d love to hear the community speak :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I don’t want to call anyone out but I swear the list of people goes on and on

4 Likes

steps forward nervously and slowly raises hand
i’ll call myself out-

8 Likes

It’s fine, as long as you also have other projects of code or art

My problem is just the shoutout only people.

4 Likes

by shoutout only do you mean people who just make shoutout projects?

5 Likes

I mean like for example

“Shout out for user2314!”
And an emoji and no code at all

5 Likes

i’m calling myself out on the just text conversation stuff, but!!-

evil smile -i destroyed the evidence of it all, hehe!!

8 Likes

^^ this

so i think i’ve suggested this before but there should be a report option for plagiarism i think, because it seems like a rule that THT wants to enforce but doesn’t know how to.

8 Likes

i personally dont really have a problem with that as its better to spread kindness than hate, but i do agree that hopscotch is often misused to do things without code (though i cant think of a decent possible solution)

10 Likes

Yes, they could just put plagiarism in the report tab

They could also put in a system that requires you to change a certain aspect of the project you are remixing

This would also solve the messaging preoblem

5 Likes

some people talk about code though, like sharing tips and such. i think that as long as the conversation is productive this should be ok.

4 Likes

Yes but they could do this on the forum

5 Likes

Or maybe there could be a tab for “coding advice”

(Like # codingadvice or something along those lines

4 Likes

@MooseCat What are your thoughts

5 Likes

some people don’t have access to the forum for whatever reasons, but yeah

5 Likes

I typically shoutout other forumers on the app but I include some pixel art or something, I think some people also do that

2 Likes

Yessss! I agree 100%! I’ve even mentioned it before but not many seem interested in the ideas I proposed. I suggested three ways we could go about this (That differ in the level of severity)

The most harsh way is to let coders disable people from going into the code at all if they wish.

A middle point option would be to let coders disable remixes on a project.

A laid back way is to let coders remove remixes that they find to be copying their work and stealing it.

3 Likes

exactly!

i personally don’t see a problem with frequent shoutouts, maybe that’s just me though

3 Likes

Hmm maybe there should be a password you can set so only people you told the password can remix that project, or just have a setting that disables remixing of that project

4 Likes

^^ i think that a solution would be 3 options you can choose from:

1. remixes welcome from anyone
  2. remix passcode
  3. no remixes
4 Likes