Set text interprets string as number

Use this template to make awesome bug reports:

Your username: Awesome_E

What kind of device are you using?: device iPhone running iOS13.x

I wrote a string with leading zeroes in the set text block (not through a variable that has to be interpreted), but it interpreted that as a number.

Steps that the Hopscotch team can take to reproduce my problem every time:

1. Watch this clip

1. Do the same thing
17 Likes

and somehow this one hasn’t been reported (not with just numbers in the Set Text block specifically)

5 Likes

yeah that’s annoying

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s def really annoying. Does it happen with other numbers too (like -12345) or something? Or is it just similar to that whole zeros-in-strings-act-weird thing?

Hope they fix it soon

2 Likes

It is probably because -0000 is basically 0000 and 0000 would simplify to 0

1 Like

Strange why this happens.

Perhaps it took it as a number instead of a string because -0000 = -0, which equals 0.

Can be force to read read as a string by place a symbol (except for “-“) before the numbers

1 Like

This is very odd indeed

1 Like

Yeah, you have to put a space in order to treat it like a string. It’s really annoying.

1 Like

This is annoying!

1 Like

I experience this litterally every time when I make my game instructions in binary

1 Like

Same as the whole leading in zeros

I know

I know

Why this is a separate bug report is that no matter what string gets put in to set TEXT, it should always return as text.

2 Likes

Kk thats what I thought

3 Likes

But then again, it is numbers and THT decided to have the set text block able to add together variables, set text to a curtain variable, and set text to numbers and add and multiply and all that. So it would show as an integer instead of a string. Sorry if I said it in a really weird way lol

I’m confused? Help pls explain better

if you put numbers in set text then it registers as a number, not text

So y not set number :exploding_head:

Yes, but I mean when there’s no variables in a text parameter, just the value, it should always stay as a string instead of trying to guess.

3 Likes

Weird. That’s never happened to me before. Weird.

1 Like

The st text block can be a string or a numbe/var.
Maybe thats why

1 Like

That is why but that’s the problem. It’s set text, so having it be/convert to a number doesn’t make much sense n should prob be changed

3 Likes