Right to Left overrides in usernames [CLOSED]

Update

No longer allowing these–it’s too confusing for those not in the know. On to the next hack!

Your username: awesomeonion

What kind of device are you using?: my computer, iPad etc

1 sentence description of the problem Petrichor’s username is turning words backwards

Steps that the Hopscotch team can take to reproduce my problem every time:

1. Look at this project: https://community.gethopscotch.com/projects/113n15v3i5
  2. Get Petrichor to like one of your projects, and see that the message will show up backwards in your activity center
  3. Find Petrichor in the admin interface and see that sections of their profile are backwards.
  4. Find Petrichor in the database and realize there is a non-ascii character: “\xE2” in their name.

@Petrichor–have you noticed this before? Is this on purpose? I’m thinking I will change your username to just use spaces so that you can properly appear on search, unless you really don’t want me to. How did you even get your username to do this?

24 Likes

@Petrichor Pasted this at the end of his username.

9 Likes

they used the unicode character U+202E which flips all text after it lol

8 Likes

That explains it!

7 Likes

Mystery solved! wow…

13 Likes

Yep, I did it a while ago because it turned the text in your favorites section backwards if it doesn’t load likes

In the latest update you changed notifications to make them work too. Is search also affected?

I used a right to left override character at the end
(‮)

9 Likes

I had trouble finding your profile in search, but there are a bunch of other petrichors too, so… I’m not sure

9 Likes
7 Likes

This is quite interesting

6 Likes

Petrichor’s not the only one?

8 Likes

Lol gotta love this topic

Pet’s not the only one, a lot of other people have done this too haha

10 Likes

This is perhaps the funniest bug report I’ve seen. It’s fun to see THT post a bug report that has to do with commander of puny mortals Petrichor. This is a witness to THTs amazing interaction with their community.

11 Likes

At this point even me and fundardo have the backwards symol in their names lol

4 Likes

He also made his project so that it got 1000000 views

4 Likes

That’s not a bug, that’s hacking definitely

3 Likes

This is not a bug too
This is a little trick :)

3 Likes

The same thing happened to me

7 Likes

Oh yay my toucan pfp was approved

4 Likes

I don’t think that it is a bug, I think he was hacking.

3 Likes

Yea, that’s not a bug. More proof!

3 Likes