Random Math Problem Solvers Topic

help_me_please
we_luv_maths

He’s very difficult to argue with, I told him that with the way he worded the question, the answer is 144; he said that he worded the question wrong and that the answer is 72.

Everybody wrote 144 except this one girl, who somehow understood what he was meaning to say and wrote 72. (By the way, his English is terrible)

Thank you very much for the explaination. So basically if the answer was:

If m=2 and n=6, what is m times n squared?

Then the answer would be 72, but if the question is the one I mentioned:

If m=2 and n=6, what is mn squared?

The answer is 144. Wow, thank you for the clear explanation on this, what grade are you in?

You’re welcome.

I haven’t been in a grade in quite some time. :grinning: My kids, who very much like Hopscotch, are in 1st & 5th.

So you are an adult then? Okay anyway thanks a lot! I will be sure to tag you when I need help with my projects!

oh that explains things

@ThinBuffalo already explained this in a perfect way! :clap:

Hey this seems like a cool place.
I’ll start with a simple problem.
How many factors does 1000! have?

(Note: 1000 factorial, not 1000)

Actually, he wrote it properly. If he didn’t write (mn)^2 then the correct answer will always be m•n•n.
The order of operations clearly states that.

I actually think both of them are 72 if it is written. If it is 2•6^2 it is the same as 2(6)^2.

I respect that you have a different opinion, however as I explained above, he did effectively write (mn)^2

The “mn” is algebraic notation (multiplication by juxtaposition or putting symbols side by side) that was not translated into a word problem. Since the teacher chose to leave mn as alegraic notation, that means mn is a quantity within the context of the word problem, so the correct interpretation is (mn)^2

You don’t have to agree with me, but do you see the logic in my explanation?