Random Math Problem Solvers Topic

help_me_please
we_luv_maths

How in depth? What do you know about it already?

O okay I understand my mistake, I started at the left (yas correct) but jumped straight to the end then went to the middle of the equation :sweat_smile:

We basically solve the things in the brackets first, we don’t have exponents yet, first is division, then multiplication (they’re not on the same lvl for us), addition then subtraction (again not on the same lvl)

Yoohoo! I see you… (Again)

Wow ur project sounds like fun, just a ques, is it smh like terraria or something @JonnyGamer?

I suggest checking this out:

Especially the part with multiplication and division

Ok thank you @CreativeCoder btw what grade are you in?

No problem, tell me if you need help with anything. I’m in 9th grade and I’m taking pre-calculus this year.

Ok thx so much for the offer!

I’m in eighth grade doing integrated math (basically algebra, trigonometry, geometry etc combined)

Tbh our teacher really confuses us. So its hard to understand with him.

Math has to be taught in a very specific way to be effective. My teacher last year didn’t even really teach our class at all because there was less than ten of us and he had to teach another class ://

My last year’s teacher was very goood and strict so like, with her Maths was a breeze. I still ask her sometimes about some questions I dont understand and she still helps me.

That’s good. My sixth grade teacher was kind of like that.

I have a few projects I’m working on
(Terraria is one of my favorite games, haven’t played it in a while though. That wall of flesh is too trickly for me lol)

2D sandbox math app (so that I can learn Matrices)
Isometric Super Mario Mini Game (before I learn 3d matrices)
Soup Sim (CreativeCoder and I are working on this, but we haven’t really don’t much on it lately)

Same here

Remember that one bug a few years ago where you could enter in keywords using a bug on the pause menu and gain a bunch of stuff for free?

That was the swellest thing ever

A Cartesian plane (or Cartesian coordinate system) is how objects are positioned on Hopscotch. Two coordinates are used to give a location. Those 2 coordinates correlate to positions along two axis at right angles (i.e. one axis along the bottom and the other axis along the side)

For comparison a different method is the Polar coordinate system. Objects can still be located on a plane using two coordinates, but the coordinates are an angle and radius/distance. For this one think of something like a radar screen.

Oh okay thank you so much @ThinBuffalo. We are going to learn about it soon and it has always kinda confused me, so knowing the basic definition might help me later. Again tysvm!

Thats very nice to know! When will those games be out?

I know right? I thought I was only one of the few that play Terraria.

(Bcz after Minecraft, this was my 2nd favorite game (that was two years ago))

Hello everybody…

@JonnyGamer
@ThinBuffalo
@William04GamerA
@MyPi
@CreativeCoder
@PartTimeFemale
@Petrichor
@Panthera

This topic is dead so I’m bringing it back to life.

I have got the results of my test and my teacher marked this question wrong:

The answer to this is 144, and it was wrong.

Why may you ask?

Apparently, he worded the question wrong and this was what he intended it to be:

So I lost a mark on the test for a mixed up wording error…

Ughughughuhgh

mn^2 definitely equals 72,

But with all due respect to your teacher, “mn squared” is at best ambiguous.

The way m & n are placed without a space implies the quantity mn is squared or (mn)^2 = 144. “m times n squared” has no implied order so that would be mn^2 = 72.

While arguing with a teacher would never end well, I think most teachers would be open to a respectful question supported by critical thinking. You might try politely making the points highlighted above and asking how he/she would have worded (mn)^2.

Actually, let me try to articulate more precisely why the interpretation should be (mn)^2 = 144

Just to remind ourselves, the question was

If m= 2 and n= 6, what is mn squared?

This problem statement is part word problem and part algebraic notation.

The “mn” is algebraic notation (multiplication by juxtaposition or putting symbols side by side) that was not translated into a word problem. Since the teacher chose to leave mn as alegraic notation, that means mn is a quantity within the context of the word problem, so the correct interpretation is (mn)^2 = 144

If the question was

If m= 2 and n= 6, what is m times n squared?

now there is no alebraic notation, so this translates to mn^2 = 72

See what your teacher says to that if you politely inquire…