Question: calling all Pokémon experts!

Hi everyone! I am currently working on a Pokémon Go type game and I would like some advice from you Pokémon experts out there. My goal is to include somewhere between 50 and 150 different Pokémon in my game. How should I decide which ones to include and from which generation? I wanted to include some common, uncommon, and rare Pokémon but I’m not sure how to narrow down which ones to use because there are so many.

Thanks for your help!

Well I guess I could help I have Pokémon cards

If you want it to be like the real game you should only use pokemon in gen 1-3.

You should definitely include stuff like weedle and rattata xD

Do you play Pokemon go yourself?

I play it, so you can ask questions about the games to me.

Do you watch Pokémon on Netflix?

I do

Here’s a list of different Pokemon if this helps.

https://randompokemon.com/
Also, here’s a random Pokemon generator if you can’t decide! :slight_smile:

Fennekin or Vulpix. Just yes.

Well. If you’re gonna make a Pokémon Go game choose some of the first generations! Also it depends what kind of Pokémon YOU want to add.

Yes I did for a while. But I may have a few questions about the gameplay since I haven’t played in a while. I’ll let you know when I think of some questions!

I agree with you (@BB-Box). The first generations definitely contains some cool Pokémon (especially Gen 1). I’d really like to see Pikachu, Dragonite, Weedle, Gyrados and Ratata in the game. This sounds really amazing!

Do you know how many Pokémon are in the first gen?

There are about 50 - 150 Pokémon!

151 Pokémon, take a look here: https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_Kanto_Pokédex_number.

woah, a Pokemon project!! kudos to you!!

I don’t know a whole lot about Pokemon Go, but I’ve been an avid lover and frequent player of the Pokemon Nintendo games for many years, so perhaps I could help by providing some lore.

There are now seven “generations” of Pokemon games, with each generation introducing between 70 and 150 new Pokemon. Trying to include only the “best,” “strongest,” or “most common/rare/liked” out of all 807 Pokemon would leave out a lot of underrated 'mons, which would be really sad for those who were hoping to catch their favorites.

You could always go with the original 151 Pokemon, but that would leave out a whole lot of favorites.

Being me, I would go about this methodically. If I plan to go all out and include, say, 147 Pokemon, I’d split the number up by generation (hence 147, because it’s divisible by 7). This would mean I’d include 21 Pokemon from each generation.

Pokemon also have types, as you may know, and there are 18 known Pokemon types. This poses a problem, as if I were to split each generation by type I would only be able to include 1 Pokemon of each type, which would mean no room for evolutions. If I split the entire 150 (144) by type, there would be 8 Pokemon of each type. That’s also not a lot, and again, no room for evolution.

I’m thinking out loud for most of this, so to speak.

It seems that my methodical approach isn’t going to allow for the diversity the game deserves, so let’s try something else. We’ll include a few crowd-pleasers, see where that gets us, and choose other 'mons from there.

Let’s start with the starters, since they’re some of the most well-known. There are three starters for each region, and each of those starters has three evolutions (if you’re planning on having in-game evolution – it’d be cool to have the evolutions only obtainable through evolving (e.g. you can’t catch a wartortle, but you can catch a squirtle and evolve it)). That’d be 9 Pokemon per region, times 7 regions, which makes for 63 slots filled.

It’d also be cool to have at least one (probably just one, given the limit of 150) Legendary Pokemon from each region. My pick is a logical set, coming from the “rulers” of each region’s Special Legendary Trio. This would be Mew, Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Giratina, Kyurem, Zygarde, and Necrozma.
This adds seven Pokemon to our 63, filling 70 slots.

The other “most popular” Pokemon are Eevee and its eight evolutions, as well as the Pikachu evolution line. That’s 9 and three, respectively, which totals out to 82.

From here, what you choose is almost entirely up to you. You could stop there and have a game filled with starters. You could divide the remaining 68 slots between the seven generations or the eighteen types, or you could pull up a randomizer to fill the slots for you. Pokemon other than legendaries don’t have too much of a rarity status in the games, as all of them are catchable with the right circumstances and patience.

68 divided by 18 is approximately three, so what you could do is randomize Pokemon with three evolutionary stages, one from each type (not including fire, water, or grass, because we’ve got those covered with the starters), and randomize the rest.

let's try it --- a list

Bulbasaur
Ivysaur
Venusaur
Squirtle
Wartortle
Blastoise
Charmander
Charmeleon
Charizard
Chikorita
Bayleef
Meganium
Totodile
Croconaw
Feraligatr
Cyndaquil
Quilava
Typhlosion
Treecko
Grovyle
Sceptile
Mudkip
Marshtomp
Swampert
Torchic
Combusken
Blaziken
Turtwig
Grotle
Torterra
Piplup
Prinplup
Empoleon
Chimchar
Monferno
Infernape
Snivy
Servine
Serperior
Oshawott
Dewott
Samurott
Tepig
Pignite
Emboar
Chespin
Quilladin
Chesnaught
Froakie
Frogadier
Greninja
Fennekin
Braixen
Delphox
Rowlet
Dartrix
Decidueye
Popplio
Brionne
Primarina
Litten
Torracat
Incineroar
Mew
Mewtwo
Rayquaza
Giratina
Kyurem
Zygarde
Necrozma
Eevee
Vaporeon
Flareon
Jolteon
Leafeon
Glaceon
Umbreon
Espeon
Sylveon
Pichu
Pikachu
Raichu
Sewaddle
Swadloon
Leavanny
Seedot
Nuzleaf
Shiftry
Dratini
Dragonair
Dragonite
Mareep
Flaaffy
Ampharos
Flabebe
Floette
Florges
Machop
Machoke
Machamp
Pidgey
Pidgeotto
Pidgeot
Duskull
Dusclops
Dusknoir
Swinub
Piloswine
Mamoswine
Vanillite
Vanillish
Vanilluxe
Lillipup
Herdier
Stoutland
Zubat
Golbat
Crobat
Ralts
Kirlia
Gardevoir
Aaron
Lairon
Aggron
Beldum
Metang
Metagross
Feebas
Milotic
Houndour
Houndoom
Gastly
Haunter
Gengar
Geodude
Graveler
Golem
Zangoose
Seviper
Abra
Kadabra
Alakazam
Absol
Riolu
Lucario
Trapinch
Vibrava
Flygon
Cleffa
Clefairy
Clefable

Whatever you choose, I’m super excited to see the end result of this game!! Hope this can be of help.

Why did you just type an entire speech?

…because I have knowledge on the topic and wanted to share it to help Madi with her project?

Well that was a big speech! Did you actually plan all of that? If so, congratulations! You going to law school. Yay ;-;

Wow, thank you so much! This is really great information and thank you so much for sharing it with me! I like what you said about having the evolutions only through evolving because I think that would be a good way to do it. I will start trying to figure out which Pokémon to use and I will definitely use your list for help! I might have some more questions as I’m trying to figure it out so I might @ you some time in the future! Of course, I could always just include all 807 Pokémon and that would solve the problem but that might take too long :joy: Do you play Pokémon Go?

Coincidence, I was going to upgrade my one.

Anyway
Gen 5, 6 and 7 are all trash, so forget the Pokemon designs. Trubbish?? Umm klingklang? Klefki?? Ultra beasts? Is this what gamefreak would’ve designed in 1996?? Otherwise the Pokemon here are so poorly designed and us older audience wouldn’t be intrigued.

No. Platinum is known as the ‘ultimate game’ where Pokemon could’ve finished. Beyond generation 4 was for money.

For rare, stay original:
Mewtwo *
Mew
Zapdos *
Articuno *
Moltres *
Entei
Raikou
Suicune
Lugia *
Hooh *
Celebi
Groupon (not primal) *
Kyorgre (not primal) *
Rayquaza (not mega) *
Deoxys
Latias
Latios
Regirock
Registeel
Regice
Dialga *
Palkia *
Giratina *
Darkrai *
Shaymin
Arceus * (make this insanely rare)
Heatran
Regigigas
Have like 30/150 rare Pokemon.
15/30 super rare

I’d pick these as rare. Ones with ’ * ’ next to them are a must.

‘Favourites’ that you wouldn’t want to miss out on are:
Pikachu, dragonite, snorlax, all kanto starters, Gyarados, meowth, gengar, eevee, sceptile, milotic, salamence, metagross, infernape, Garchomp, lucario, darkrai.

Playing Pokemon games may help out too. If you want to have a taste of all Pokemon, then try Pokemon ‘platinum’
It has virtually all Pokemon from gen 1-4, and is packed with adventure.

Remember add ratata, weedle and all that ‘junk’ as they are the bulk of gen 1. I have never played Pokemon go so I really don’t know much about it.

By the way

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-and-pokemon-lets-go-eevee/

It is coming on Nintendo switch. Apparently it is a remake of yellow, and has many elements of Pokemon go in it.
You can watch trailers on YouTube, it’s absolutely viral.